Default Minimum Sub Panel Height?

Hi,

I ran into this distribution panel today and it has me wondering if there is a minimum height for service and distribution panels? The upper breaker height on this panel is 31" and the bottom breaker is at 22". I know there is a maximum breaker height and that meters have a minimum and maximum. Maybe the electrician wanted to wire it while sitting on the floor?

Other than the ground and neutrals being isolated at the service panel but being bonded at the distribution panel everything else looked good.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Leo Leidlein; 06-17-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: correcting terminology
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Minimum Sub Panel Height?

This has been discussed before.

There is no minimum height. There is a required free work space in front of the panel. There is a maximum height.

Low panels are inconvenient but not against code.

And before someone else jumps on you, the forum rules of etiquette state there are only Service Panels and Distribution or Equipment Panels. There are no such things as Sub panels. Subpanels only exist in submarines.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Thanks!

While on the subject of panel boxes I came across one today in a master closet that had evidently been used at once for a faux safe box. It had a lock on the panel cover. I pulled the door back far enough to shine a light inside to find it was completely empty and had no electrical componets at the inside.

I guess the homeowner decided to break down and buy a real wall safe as there was one next to it. Funny thing was the screws that held the safe in position was on the outside of the drywall. All anyone would have to do is remove those screws and you could have walked off with the safe.

Genious?

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    I guess the homeowner decided to break down and buy a real wall safe as there was one next to it. Funny thing was the screws that held the safe in position was on the outside of the drywall. All anyone would have to do is remove those screws and you could have walked off with the safe.

Genious?

rick
    Maybe it's a breaker panel disguised as a safe? And you didn't inspect it???

A.D. Miller Guest

LL: Assuming that is a garage location and there are no breakers within 18" of the floor, the installation, though stupid, appears to be compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    LL: Assuming that is a garage location and there are no breakers within 18" of the floor, the installation, though stupid, appears to be compliant.

Bingo! That is a garage, or at least looks like it, and breakers would definitely be ignition sources.

As you guys have said, though, it is dumb to put it that low.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Bingo! That is a garage, or at least looks like it, and breakers would definitely be ignition sources.

JP: OMG, you agree? Let me pinch myself. Is this real?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Bingo! That is a subpanel in a garage, or at least looks like it, and breakers would definitely be ignition sources.

i also have to agree with jp

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian schmitt View Post
    i also have to agree with jp
    BS: Yes, that's OK Brian, just pile it on . . .