mathew stouffer Guest

Default Bolts through glue lam

Any thoughts on these photos. Typically I see ties used at these connections.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Bolts through glue lam

It's hard to say from the picture what's going on. With that 'end grain' connection I'd say the screws should hold the smaller glue-lam in place for decoration... maybe. Hopefully, there's not a load on it. And, hopefully some engineer or architect approved the holes through the larger glue-lam that appears to be structurally significant (I'm thinking not).

From what the pictures show you have more than enough problems or questions to recommend plans/permits from an engineer be obtained. There is quite possibly no such documentation. That appears to fall well outside of anything you'll find in a code book and would need to have been engineered.

On edit - I suppose that smaller glue-lam could be a collar tie of sorts as I really can't see a load on top of it. It's still a poor connection with holes bored through the large glue-lam. It's beyond what a HI is there to do and you're well within reason to call it out for further review.

Last edited by Matt Fellman; 06-17-2009 at 11:15 PM.

A.D. Miller Guest

Thanks for posting the pdf's Aaron. I don't usually see glulams but nice details to have for when I do.
    Markus

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Lotsa' good stuff in there - Thanks!

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 06-18-2009 at 09:09 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com