Default Opinions on this fireplace?

In a 40 yr old house, this fancy corner feature is cracked and and starting to tip off the metal shelf support. There is work to do to the chimney outside so I said to get the mason to check this. Maybe put in a steel post?

The 4th pic is the flue for the oil furnace. Can a mason fix that with fireclay or mortar? I suggested a metal flue liner as alternative.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Opinions on this fireplace?

Not sure about the cause or remedy in pics 1-3 John but pic #4 defintely needs a new flue liner.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Not sure about the cause or remedy in pics 1-3 John but pic #4 defintely needs a new flue liner.
    Agree.... I'm inclined to think the crack is not a big deal. I'm guessing 60's construction - probably had no chimney cap ever and the liner is shot. I'd be curious to see what the top looks like. I'd bet either totally shot or just rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    What Nick said. I can't see anyone "fixing" that flue liner. Just put in a metal one.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Thanks all. I'm trying to increase my masonry knowledge. No problem with the obvious stuff, it's the small cracks and patches I'd like to be firmer on.

I know this chimney could use a cap and a cricket flashing too. Not bad for the age though.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Definitely needs a corner post and a liner. Corner post should have been installed when fireplace was built.

Bart Ogden

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    In a 40 yr old house, this fancy corner feature is cracked and and starting to tip off the metal shelf support. There is work to do to the chimney outside so I said to get the mason to check this. Maybe put in a steel post?

The 4th pic is the flue for the oil furnace. Can a mason fix that with fireclay or mortar? I suggested a metal flue liner as alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Ogden View Post
    Definitely needs a corner post and a liner. Corner post should have been installed when fireplace was built.

Bart Ogden
    Thanks Bart.