Default Propane water heater question

I inspected a propane Bradford White Hydrojet water heater today that when the burner was lit, the flame would die out across at least half the burner, then would surge and relight. You could hear this thing doing this from the other rooms in the house. It was a presale inspection, so the sellers were there. They said it has done this from day one and the plumbers who installed it said this is normal because "it is the Hydrojet model, they all do that". I have never seen this on any others. What could be the possible cause? I'm wondering for my own information, I am still going to recommend they have a different plumber determine what the problem is.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Propane water heater question

it is the Hydrojet model, they all do that"
    Only if they are the one installing them.

Smart advice to get a different plumber.

Bradford White | Troubleshooting -- Gas

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

If you could post the model # of the unit. Almost sounds like they installed a Natural gas unit where they are using LP.

I saw a flame pattern similar to that once when an expensive gas stove was ordered from Sweden and it came in with propane jets and they connected natural gas to it. Possibly the burner jets on the water heater are incorrect ? Is this water heater labled as a model configured for Propane or natural gas ?