mathew stouffer Guest

Default Roof flashing? Additional thoughts

I am not sure if this is decorative or what. Thought I may get some imput from our roofers out there. I wanted to remove it to see what was behind the copper but we know that is a no no

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Rocky Boyer Guest

Default Re: Roof flashing? Additional thoughts

The flashing is only for cosmetic purposes only, serving no purpose. Advise customer the flashing does not meet manufacturers reccomendations..

Well, you won't find any manufacturers requirements for the flashing but it is a hack job.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

FALSHING FOT COSMETIC PUR POSES?

They just forgot to install in the right place so they slapped it over the top.
    There is no flashing behind. or if there is it leaked.

It is decorative as it is purty, but that is not why flashings are installed.

That whole area will be a leaker before long.

That inside area needs to be capped off and water/weather proofed. That truss is NOT designed to be exposed to the weather like that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Rocky Boyer Guest

The rake wall needs to have step flashing properly installed. The Flashing needs to be installed under the siding and under the rake shingles per the GAF Installation guidelines page 166 Pro Field Guide. NOt saying this is an GAF product although the installation manuals will tell you the same thing. Hope this helps.

Rocky Boyer Guest

Scott, by the way, There are manufacturer installation procedures for this exact area of installation.

I had a similar flashing problem yesterday.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Rocky Boyer Guest

David,

The metal flashing is providing nothing more than comestic. The flashing located on the rake wall needs to be flashied uner the cedar siding and under the metal field standing seam. As long as the underlayment and the step flashing were installed before the field then the homeowner shoulf not have a problem. I would have the howeowner refer to a certified roofing installer for metal roofs re-flash this area to be safe.

It never ceases to amaze me that roofers installing shingles which are "shingle lapped" to promote water drainage downhill will then install flashing which is not "shingle lapped" ... expecting that flashing to do any good.

Roofers, now hear this breaking news: Water runs downhill. That means that water runs down a vertical surface and UNDER a flashing installed OVER that vertical surface. That means the flashing needs to be installed UNDER the vertical surface - so the water can run downhill OVER the flashing.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Boyer View Post
    Scott, by the way, There are manufacturer installation procedures for this exact area of installation.
    The manufacturer of the flashing? Can you provide a cite or source? It might help Mathew.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    The manufacturer of the flashing? Can you provide a cite or source? It might help Mathew.

Scott,

I suspect he is referring to the manufacturer of the shingles.

Shingle manufacturers typically show how the flashing is to be installed at the various locations.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Scott,

I suspect he is referring to the manufacturer of the shingles.

Shingle manufacturers typically show how the flashing is to be installed at the various locations.
    I think so as well..

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Boyer View Post
    David,

The metal flashing is providing nothing more than comestic. The flashing located on the rake wall needs to be flashied uner the cedar siding and under the metal field standing seam. As long as the underlayment and the step flashing were installed before the field then the homeowner shoulf not have a problem. I would have the howeowner refer to a certified roofing installer for metal roofs re-flash this area to be safe.
    I don't have a picture but the side wall flashing is installed under the siding. The side wall siding is newer, probable installed same time as the roof. The siding in front was not replaced and so this is what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me that roofers installing shingles which are "shingle lapped" to promote water drainage downhill will then install flashing which is not "shingle lapped" ... expecting that flashing to do any good.
    From the roofer's perspective: The guy wants a cheap roof. We gave him the lowest price we could, expensive metal roofing, now he wants the siding done for free? Not part of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    From the roofer's perspective: The guy wants a cheap roof. We gave him the lowest price we could, expensive metal roofing, now he wants the siding done for free? Not part of the deal.
    Then leave that "flashing" off, it will save money and be better as it will not create the problems that "flashing" will create.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The flashing on that wall is called "Apron Metal" and is suppose to be installed horizontally not vertically. Because that corner is tucked up under the eave it may never see water and the roofer took a short cut. They used the long length of the apron metal so they could get it up under there and fasten it with a nail or two. If they used step flashing they would not have a way to nail it once you get up under that eave.
    Not right but it's location may never be a problem.

For that particular area I don't see a problem running a 2 or 3' piece of apron because of it's difficult location. When you get in tight locations you have to improvise . The problem I see it was installed over the corner board and the wall above it is open. It should be installed under the siding material.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Mike,
    They have had issues with installations just like this in this area. We get lots of wind driven snow and it builds up on the roof and under the eaves. I have seen it ten feet deep on some roofs. When springs arrives it provides a constant source of water for a few weeks or a month and poof! Water in the living room ceiling. You partially answered my question though, why do roofers install the flashing like this.