Thread: Condensate?

dan orourke Guest

Default Condensate?

Last edited by dan orourke; 01-02-2008 at 09:09 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Condensate?

Since it appears that air handler is in an attic it could be the pipe sweating.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

1. No secondary drain line.
    2. No trap on main line. It does not look like a trap, if that is what it is.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I agree with Scott, but think that "is supposed to be" a trap, it's just not a "proper trap".

However, I would not even write that spot up as it is above the water line (and, if not, the thing to write up is the backing up condensate line - IT SHOULD BE above the water line).

If anything, that vertical (capped? can't tell in the photo) piece is for cleaning out and servicing the condensate line.

Which makes it not a vent (if a "vent", it's on the wrong side of the trap).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Eastman View Post
    I see a drain line from the auxiliary catch pan.
    I see the primary drain line.

Jerry/Scott, are you refering to the "axuiliary catch pan" as the "secondary drain" line? If not, what are you refering to and is it required?
    No, the emergency overflow pan is the third level of protection. The secondary drain line is that Red cap that is next to the primary drain line. It provides a secondary drain for the internal drain pan when the primary becomes clogged. If the unit is over a part of the home that can be damaged if it overflows (like in an attic) is is suppose to be connected. Many of the HVAC folks do not connect them.

If the primary and the secondary become clogged, then the internal pan will overflow into the emergency overflow pan and then if it is not full of insulation it will drain out of the home.

As for it being required... The IRC gives you three ways to provide a secondary drain, and a drain pan is one of them as long as it has a drain line or an automatic water sensor that cuts off the condenser. Some AHJ's may require the secondary line on the evaporator cabinet to be connected as well, my town requires it as well as an eternal pan with a drain or sensor.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 06-03-2007 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

And there was a drain line off the pan to the outside. Think this installer might have bought a ceiling once?

Attached Files Attached Files
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

The IRC give 4 choices, and that 4th choice can lead to many problems, as discussed on another thread a couple of weeks ago ... unless a freeze up switch is installed to shut the unit off before it freezes up (I had never heard of them before, thank you DavidR).

Even with that, the 4th choice (to me) makes no sense.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com