Question Strange Outlet Location

Inspected 1928 vintage two story home yesterday and noticed this electrical outlet on the staircase leading to the upstairs. Single outlet w/ fuse in box. Has anyone ever seen this before? What's it purpose?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

Default Re: Strange Outlet Location

What's its purpose?

I have no idea why it was installed there, however, it purpose seems to be to create a trip and fall hazard.

Is it possible (any evidence of) an electric stair lift having been installed in the past? Even then, though, they are wired in from the ends (on the ones I've seen) and not from the middle somewhere.

I would definitely recommend its proper removal, which may not be to difficult at the box is mounted on the tread and not cut into the tread, indicating that the wiring to the box is through a hole in the tread.

Remove the box, remove the wire from the stair, remove the wire from wherever it is tapped off from, drill nice round hole in tread if not already there and plug with a wood plug, then of course the carpet would need to be patched at that hole (unless maybe the carpet was just slit and the wiring poked through the slit, which would then require carpet tape on the back side to secure the carpet slit together like a seam so it does not cause a trip and fall).

Could you tell if the stairway was dark and it needed a light? If so, then a light would also need to be installed to light the stairway.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That is an old fused receptacle. As stated, there is an Edison fuse under that square cover.

If it is near the bottom I like the thought that it was for a stair climber, but lacking other evidence that is a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    If it is near the bottom I like the thought that it was for a stair climber, but lacking other evidence that is a long shot.
    Peter,

That is not only a long shot, but it was a backward-over-the-shoulder and not using a mirror shot.

It was the only thing which came to mind which could possibly be in the stairway for any legitimate reason.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Looks like some steep stairs.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Looks like some steep stairs.

Scott,

My thoughts too.

May be why they needed a ski lift installed?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

It's for the vacuum cleaner. Ask your wife.

Smile Re: Strange Outlet Location

LOL's guys! Thanks for the notes. I glad I'm not the only one scratching his head here also. There was another one on the set of stairs to the basement also.

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

I agree with John
    Installed for vacuum cleaner, easy to run the cable and mount.
    Don't have to ask my wife.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Post Re: Strange Outlet Location

I would go with the vacuum cleaner outlet idea. Fused because it would draw enough current to blow the fuse at the main panel, and that was down in the basement?

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

John Steinke Guest

I once encountered something similar that was used to provide lighting for the space under the stairs. This one? I have no idea.

The fuse may have been a way to be 'extra safe,' or the power source may be a larger circuit ("tap rules").

We might have an issue with the reveptacle pointing 'up.' Most receptacles I have seen in / on stairs have been on the risers, not the treads.

gary gramling Guest

It is most likely for the vacuum cleaner. The fuse is there to shut it off before tripping at the main panel.
    Gary

Stephen Atchison Guest

I would put in my report; Recommend an Electrician to investigate to determine if any circuits that could be possibly affected by removing the outlet, then remove it.

If my wife see's that picture of a receptacle on the stairway she is going want one wired up regardless if its wrong or not.

She complains about having to drag the vacuum up and down the stairways, so I've bought her another one for the upstairs for our anniversary coming up.

I spoil her way too much.

Rick

Rick, at least your wife knows what a vacuum is. I can never recall any of my wives ever using one.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Why are we reviving 13 month old threads?

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Why are we reviving 13 month old threads?
    I bet if you put a little effort into it you can find something better to complain about.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Denny Waters Guest

I got my wife a weed whacker for our anniversary.

Philip Guest

Had a friend get his wife a lawn mower for her birthday. I asked him how he got by with that and he told me he had it painted pink.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    If my wife see's that picture of a receptacle on the stairway she is going want one wired up regardless if its wrong or not.

She complains about having to drag the vacuum up and down the stairways, so I've bought her another one for the upstairs for our anniversary coming up.

I spoil her way too much.

Rick
    You bought your wife a vacuum for your anniversary and still happily married?

Ted Glover Guest

No offense to anyone of a particular heritage, but I live near Westby WI (norsky residents), and I have a huge picture collection of this kind of thing including shelves built into the basement stairs (off to one side). The older guys in particular added stuff like this

Their vacuum cord was too short

I was just cleaning out my warehouse for some room (large shed) and came across my collection o tings that i thought were 'cool' from decades ago doing electrical work. I found one of these stair items described on this thread.
    Trouble is......I cant's remember the story that goes with it...??

Anyhow, I do remember the job where the electrical service panel was under 'lift-up-stairs', Munster style. U can't make this up...tis true.

Equally interesting, to me at least: Doing an inspection yesterday for a pool panel, found myself on all fours under the steps inside.
    When mentioning the clear space and headroom, the homeowner pointed to the section of the floor that was cut for removal. Removing the panel allows one to stand on the crawl space floor and Wa La!
    Not making this one up either!