Default Blue flamed gas fireplace ?

Of the several hundred gas artificial log fireplaces I have lit both natural and LP gas, I have never seen one like today, where the flame was 90% blue (like the flame on a gas range). I actually did not what to make of it. Nearly all I see are realistic looking yellow flames on the artificial logs. This one was blue. See the photos. Not sure what to make of it. The house was using natural gas.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Blue flamed gas fireplace ?

Even though the blue flame doesnt mock a real fireplace, it probably is burning cleaner.

Cool Re: Blue flamed gas fireplace ?

You need a qualified technician to inspect and service it. It is possible the air shutter is open too far from the looks of that flame. Also note how centered the flame is--poor lateral distribution. A tech can inspect the settings, orifices, gas pressures, etc. and ensure it is setup and operating within mfrs. specs.

For a home inspector, yes, it would be a trigger for a tech.

Heating appliances use a clean burning 'non-luminous' flame whereas most hearth appliances rely on a luminous flame and therefore are inherently a little less efficient and a little more dirtyas Gene and John point out. The standard flame has blue bases with yellow tips, even distribution across the burner with no lifting or ghosting.

Good points guys!
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Jack Murdock Guest

Gene did you happen to get the manufacturers model number off the data plate? I sell 9 different lines of gas logs. It could be a vent free set with the logs out of position. Hence the soot. VF logs burn much cleaner than yellow flames but have lower btu/hr 40,000 or less.

Hi Jack, thank you for asking. The gas logs were set up inside a wood buring fireplace design with full firebox,hearth and full wood burning type chimney. I did not see any serial number or ID plates. This is basically a steel gas line inserted into a wood burning fireplace and then artifical logs placed on top.

Any ideas ?

Gene

Jack Murdock Guest

Gene,
    There should be a rating plate on a chain or wire its usually tucked in the back or under the gas valve or the lava rock covering the floor of the fireplace. Its hard to say without the rating plate.
    Jack

Jack, I don't have the option of going back to the house now but thanks anyway. I will try and follow up if I can and then will let you know.

Thanks

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Murdock View Post
    Its hard to say without the rating plate.
    Without a rating plate there is no evidence or proof that they are listed and no evidence that they are installed in according with that non-existing listing.

If there is no nameplate and not other tags, it is the same as being non-listed and not allowed for use.

Replace or provide proper listing information, name plates, warning tags, etc., for *THAT* particular log set - there really are no other legitimate options.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com