Thread: Gas Flex Line

Default Gas Flex Line

I saw this installation to new retrofit gas fireplace. That is a CSST line. I searched old forums and still not sure if this is ok or needs to be in conduit. What about going thru brick?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Tom Rees; 07-02-2009 at 03:05 PM.
    Inspection Referral
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Brent Simmerman Guest

Default Re: Gas Flex Line

Looks to be CSST, does not need to be in conduit. I am not sure about the brick, I believe it is ok. Will have to look it up when I get to the office. In NE it needs to be grounded.

http://www.wardflex.com/images/design_install_guide.pdf CSST installation guide

Try looking it up here.

WARDFLEX Mechanical Joint Fittings shall be protected from the effects of weather when used out
    doors. After the connection is made to outdoor equipment the WARDFLEX Mechanical Joint Fitting
    shall be sealed by wrapping two layers of tape (e.g. PVC, Silicone) or by applying shrink sleeves (e.g.
    PVC, Polyolefin).
    l The following additional instructions regard the use of WARDFLEX in systems in which portions of the
    piping are exposed to the outdoors as required to make connections to gas meters or gas appliances,
    which are attached to, mounted on, or located in close proximity to the building structure.
    l In cases where conflicting requirements exist, the order of precedence shall be as follows:
    1 - Local Code
    2 - Manufacturer’s Instructions
    l The external protective covering shall remain intact as much as practical for the given installation.
    l When installed along the side of a structure (between the ground and 6 ft.) in an exposed condition, the
    WARDFLEX must be protected inside a conduit or installed in a location which will not subject it to
    mechanical damage.
    l WARDFLEX shall not be buried directly in the ground or directly embedded in concrete (e.g. patio
    slabs, foundations or walk ways). When burial or embedment is required,WARDFLEX shall be routed
    inside nonmetallic (e.g.PVC) conduit. The conduit shall be sealed at any exposed end to prevent water
    from entering using double wrapped PVC tape or PVC shrink sleeves.
    l When installed in crawl spaces or underneath mobile homes,WARDFLEX shall be installed in
    accordance with WARD’s standard installation instructions. No special precautions are required
    beneath the structure.
    l When using a termination plate for an outdoor application, all four mounting fasteners shall be used
    when installing the termination fitting.
    Caution: When installing WARDFLEX in brick or other applications where CSST may be exposed to an acid
    wash, shield the WARDFLEX and/or ensure that all traces are removed to prevent premature corrosion failure!
    Two other items to consider are support and bending radius.

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 07-02-2009 at 04:26 PM.
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

And don't forget to add about sealing for water resistance of the assembly now that there is a hole through and through it. Also for air infiltration and exfiltration.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Roger Hankey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    http://www.wardflex.com/images/design_install_guide.pdf CSST installation guide

Try looking it up here.

Two other items to consider are support and bending radius.
    I had a case like this - CSST penetrating brick veneer - last week. I called GAS-TITE (another brand of CSST) tech. support. They agreed that they recommend sleeving the CSST where it penetrates the wall. Unfortunately, in my case, the townhouse unit I inspected was one of scores of units all done the same with no sleeve and approved (or overlooked) by local AHJ.

Ed Voytovich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Simmerman View Post
    Looks to be CSST, does not need to be in conduit. I am not sure about the brick, I believe it is ok. Will have to look it up when I get to the office. In NE it needs to be grounded.
    In NYS, CSST must be "bonded," not "grounded," if it is connected to iron gas piping:

"Bonding Jumper - A bare or insulated conductor used to ensure the required electrical conductivity between metal parts required to be electrically connected. Frequently used from a bonding bushing to the service equipment enclosure to provide a path around concentric knockouts in an enclosure wall: also used to bond one raceway to another."

Perhaps Jerry can explain in simple terms the difference between "grounded" and "bonded."

According to the NYS Codes Department, CSST whips to ranges, dryers, and other appliances are exempted.

The problem is that CSST melts if the gas system is stuck by lightening. This is not good.

Jack Murdock Guest

Tom, If that CSST is less than 6 feet above grade it also has to be protected from mechanical damage (in a conduit or such) if its trac pipe or gas-tite. It also does require sleeving through masonry, be sealed water-tight both sides and is required to be bonded. If that csst is connected to a gas fired insert (moveable appliance) and not a fireplace it has to terminate with an approved termination fitting securely attached to the inside of that masonry fireplace.Then a gas-cock and an approved flex connector with the tag attached! Hope this helps. I certify installers of Trac-Pipe and Gas-Tite in New England and NY but not Ward-Felx. Jack

gary gramling Guest

Not only does the line need to be in a conduit as it penetrates the wall, which needs to be sealed at both ends, the space between wall and the conduit needs to be sealed.
    Gary