Patrick McCaffery Guest

Default Sump Pump Piping

Last night I inspected a Townhouse and while testing the sump pump I noticed that it was backing up into the laundry tub. The laundry tub is in between the sump pump and the line outside. Past the Laundry tub the piping sags due to lack of hangers. I feel that water is laying in the low part of the pipe and the sump pump has a hard time pushing the water.
    Is there supposed to be anything connected between the sump pump and the disharge to the storm sewer?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Sump Pump Piping

As far as I know, nothing is supposed to be tied to the out side of the sump pump. Since the discharge is pressurized it will go somewhere else if it can. Straight outside or to an inverted sewer connection. I'm sure one of the PL Code guys will have a reference soon. Good luck

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Patrick McCaffery Guest

Thank you Markus,
    That was my take on it. I checked the code books and it was somewhat vague.

JORY LANNES Guest

I have see sump pumps installed in pump wells sitting on the basement floor attached to a slop sink to discharge gray water from the washing macine. THe discharge usually goes out a window pane that has been replaced with plywood. THe vegitation is usually dead. THe home owner is usually proud of his "SETUP"

BETTER THAN DUCK TAPE AND CAULK

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCaffery View Post
    Is there supposed to be anything connected between the sump pump and the disharge to the storm sewer?
    The IRC does not address sump pumps very well. The IPC does and the definitions is the key to what the following says.

From the 2006 IPC. (red, underlining and bold are mine)
    - 712.3.5 Ejector connection to the drainage system. Pumps connected to the drainage system shall connect to the building sewer or shall connect to a wye fitting in the building drain a minimum of 10 feet (3048 mm) from the base of any soil stack, waste stack or fixture drain. Where the discharge line connects into horizontal drainage piping, the connector shall be made through a wye fitting into the top of the drainage piping.

- BUILDING SEWER. That part of the drainage system that extends from the end of the building drain and conveys the discharge to a public sewer, private sewer, individual sewage disposal system or other point of disposal.
    - - Combined. A building sewer that conveys both sewage and storm water or other drainage.
    - - Sanitary. A building sewer that conveys sewage only.
    - - Storm. A building sewer that conveys storm water or other drainage, but not sewage.

- BUILDING DRAIN. That part of the lowest piping of a drainage system that receives the discharge from soil, waste and other drainage pipes inside and that extends 30 inches (762 mm) in developed length of pipe beyond the exterior walls of the building and conveys the drainage to the building sewer.
    - - Combined. A building drain that conveys both sewage and storm water or other drainage.
    - - Sanitary. A building drain that conveys sewage only.
    - - Storm. A building drain that conveys storm water or other drainage, but not sewage.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

JORY LANNES Guest

Thanks Jerry;
    You are a fountain of information. I appraicate the update.