Thread: Help clarifying

Dwayne Aggar Guest

Default Help clarifying

Hi everyone.

My name is Dwayne and I live in Canada. I am not an inspector and I have had some problems identifying a problem I have with my shingles. I have been searching the web looking for some clarification and I found this site and I was hoping I could get some assistance.

My neighbours had contacted me and notice something flapping on my roof. I went on the roof and noticed these markings on my roof. I have had two companies come to my house to examine the markings. One company said that it was pitting marks caused by hail damage that we had late last summer, while the other company said it was wear markings. The roof is 9 years old.

Here are a few pictures I have taken and was wondering if anyone could help me out with what they believe it may be from.

Thanks for any assistance

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Help clarifying

Are there two layers of shingles on the roof?

Hail damage...naaa. The pattern is too uniform.

I bet the roofing companies didn't really have a good answer. If so, that's what they should have said, "I don't know"

They were afraid to admit they didn't have a good answer so they fed you a line.

I'm not sure what caused that. I hope someone will chime in and deliver some insight.

It doesn't look any hail damage I've ever seen. Usually, hail leaves small pitting on the shingles. Almost like golf cleats would leave if they were worn on the roof.

I see the spots but don't really see any damage. Is there a performance problem or are you only concerned because of the look of it? If it's just the look I'd keep an eye on it but wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

It almost lookes like someone spilled something. Stain, laquer, etc.

I'm assuming that you got the flapping thing taken care of? I can't help with the stains, or whatever they are.

Ron Bibler Guest

Chicken pocks

Looks like that roof is on its last legs.

Start saving for a new roof. do you have any leaks or stains in the attic?

If nothing else it got you looking at your roof before you got a bad leak.

Best

Ron

Do you have proper ventilation in attic, any condensation in attic? It may Be a moisture issue. Really need more info. Was flapping thing a loose shingle?

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Michael Schirmer Guest

Some lower quality roofing the color is sprayed over the granular after the granular is applied, where higher quality roofing applies a colored granular. It is natural for the granular to roll off the shingles as they age (just look in your gutters). Sometimes it appears as some kind of staining occurring in random patterns, but your usually just looking at the 'unpainted' side of the granular that has rolled over. Usually it is not an issue, just a downside of this manufacturing process.

Are the granulars worn off or missing at those dark spots? I'm thinking it's a manufacturing defect given the uniformity of the pattern. If the granulars are still intact and the shingles aren't cracking or brittle, the roof may still perform fine for the duration of it's expected service life, then it's only a matter of aesthetics.

Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections

The "flapping" makes me think that they might be a defective batch of shingles, and they aren't sealing together. Can you easily lift the shingles? You shouldn't be able to, if they're properly sealed.

If the shingles lift in the wind the lower edge of the shingle above could be causing it to wear the granules of the shingle below.

If you know the manufacturer, you can have a rep. come out to take a look.

Dale Lewis Guest

Cool Re: Help clarifying

If these shingles are on the north side it is possible that the gray spots are Alge small spots. Algae can form as large areas of growth or small spots.

Dwayne Aggar Guest

Thanks for all the info, I do have a small amount of granular in the eaves, which is consistent with your info. I have checked the attic and I don't have any leaking so I'm not concerned about that anymore. I bought the house 2 years ago so I'm not sure who manufactured the shingles.

After the roofing company told me that it was hail damage I was afraid that I needed something done right away. A second company came and they said everything was fine so I wasn't sure who to believe.

Everyone has been very helpful,

Thanks

Let me ask you this. If you bought the house two years ago, did you have a home inspection and if so, were there any observations made of the roof by the HI?

It's strange for a problem like this to occur suddenly after 9 years. Product defects usually show up sooner, unless there was a defect that only became apparent because of a unique weather incident (extraordinarily high winds, etc.).

I can say to a certainty that it's not hail damage.

gary gramling Guest

Hail would create a random pattern; not a precision pattern as shown here.
    Did you look at the roof when you purchased the house? Did you use an inspector?
    I've seen and rejected roofing like this when it was delivered to a job site before installation. This is so uniform that it appears to have been stored improperly before installation.
    I would find your seller and obtain, from him, the contact information for the roof replacement...assuming that it was replaced. If this is the original roof, how old is the house?
    Also, you didn't answer whether the flapping that caused you to go on the roof was fixed.
    Gary