Post Dream home turns into nightmare: Water damage, mold force young ... - Foster's Daily

InspectionNews has just found the following information that might be of interest to you:

Dream home turns into nightmare: Water damage, mold force young ...
    Foster's Daily Democrat
    A $420 home inspection led them to believe everything was fine. The home passed. Tasha Bennett said the inspection company's only suggestion was to budget ...

More...

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Dream home turns into nightmare: Water damage, mold force young ... - Foster's Da

The Bennetts said the footing was made of wood, rather than the usual concrete reinforced with steel.

"How can a house be built like this?" asked Bennett, adding the house started to lean forward and sink into the ground because of the poor foundation work. "This house has to be lifted up take all the blocks out. It's more cost-effective to tear it down."

Sad story. Yet they continue to issue permits for wooden basements.

Default Re: Dream home turns into nightmare: Water damage, mold force young ... - Foster's Da

That whole article is fishy - there are contradictions throughout it.

"Capello said he does not see any signs the issues existed before the Bennetts moved in" ... IN MAY ... and FOUR WEEKS LATER ... it has "rotting sideboards", "He said he has never seen a home the age of theirs with the same extent of damage."

Something just does not jive in there.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    JP,

I think you mean jibe.

From Websters Online Dictionary
    Main Entry:1jivePronunciation: \ˈjīv\ Function:noun Etymologyrigin unknownDate:1928 1: swing music or the dancing performed to it2 a: glib, deceptive, or foolish talk b: the jargon of hipsters c: a special jargon of difficult or slang terms
    — jivey \ˈjī-vē\ adjective

Main Entry: 3jibe Function:intransitive verb Inflected Form(s):jibed; jib·ingEtymologyrigin unknownDate:1813 : to be in accord : agree

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Ron Bibler Guest

With the info you get from this story. If this was there home inspector they one needs to look at the inspection report before you could say anything bad about the inspection.

But the seller on the other hand has a few problems this had to be known by them. who put that siding on and when?

I think they have a very strong case on the seller and the inspector.

Odd they stated that the inspector...

Quote "There are so many loopholes in their contract," adding the inspection company told them afterward they do not look for
    mold, code violations or hidden problems. The Bennetts were told they should have sought another inspection before buying the home."

I have statements in my report about additional inspection. like your roof leaks. you need a roofer to look at the roof.

your pipes leaks. you need a plumbers...

I for one would like to see the inspection report. there is the story.

I just don't see how one could do an inspection and miss that much stuff.

Best

Ron

Happy 4th

Jive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Main Entry:1jivePronunciation: \ˈjīv\ Function:noun Etymologyrigin unknownDate:1928 1: swing music or the dancing performed to it2 a: glib, deceptive, or foolish talk b: the jargon of hipsters c: a special jargon of difficult or slang terms

Main Entry: 3jibe Function:intransitive verb Inflected Form(s):jibed; jib·ingEtymologyrigin unknownDate:1813 : to be in accord : agree
    Not jibe

Main Entry: 2jibe
    Variant(s): also gybe \ˈjīb\
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): jibed also gybed; jib·ing also gyb·ing
    Etymology: perhaps modification of Dutch gijben
    Date: 1693

intransitive verb
    1 : to shift suddenly and forcibly from one side to the other —used of a fore-and-aft sail
    2 : to change a vessel's course when sailing with the wind so that as the stern passes through the eye of the wind the boom swings to the opposite side
    transitive verb : to cause to jibe
    — jibe also gybe noun

Main Entry:
    2jibe Variant(s): also gybe \ˈjīb\
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): jibed also gybed; jib·ing also gyb·ing
    Etymology: perhaps modification of Dutch gijben
    Date: 1693

intransitive verb
    1 : to shift suddenly and forcibly from one side to the other —used of a fore-and-aft sail
    2 : to change a vessel's course when sailing with the wind so that as the stern passes through the eye of the wind the boom swings to the opposite side transitive verb : to cause to jibe — jibe also gybe noun

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That whole article is fishy - there are contradictions throughout it.

Guess I really messed that statement up with "does not jive" as I meant it in how we (where I was) used "jive" when growing up where "jive" had several meanings, including "does not jive" = "does not make sense" - but alas, that is all lost in dictionary definitions.

What I should have done was simply said what I mean: "Something just does not add up in there, does not make sense."

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

JP,

I think you mean jibe.

Jive, Sounds Right to Me !

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Guess I really messed that statement up with "does not jive" as I meant it in how we (where I was) used "jive" when growing up where "jive" had several meanings, including "does not jive" = "does not make sense" - but alas, that is all lost in dictionary definitions.

What I should have done was simply said what I mean: "Something just does not add up in there, does not make sense."
    "You jus' jivin', man, you jus' jivin'."

Take a look at the definitions and the sentence.

Jibe = agree.

Jive = deceptive

"... does not jive..." = not deceptive.

"... does not jibe..." = does not agree.

"That is jive" = deceptive.

JP. I understood what you meant. This is just a part of my personality. Remember, I am the apostrophe troll.

JP. I understood what you meant. This is just a part of my personality. Remember, I am the apostrophe troll.
    We all have our quirks, don't we?

When I was growing up, something which was "cool" was "hot" and something which was "not so hot" was "not so cool".

Go figure that out.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

That was cool

Best

Ron

When I was a kid, a "dog" was was ugly, typically a girl. Now, "the dog" is ... um, cool.

Don Belmont Guest

Hi All,

So here's the TV segment so you can actually see the house in question.

WCSH6.com | Portland, ME | Video

I should add that the inspector in question is one of the 5 inspectors on the brand spanking new HI licensing board in NH. He's made quite a few statements over the past several years about inspectors who just aren't trained enough to catch such things. (Hoping he would make the bucks to train them).

On the Foster Daily Democrat I was interviewed by them when we were fighting about the HI bill (now law). My interview had little resemblance to what I actually said. That seems to be a feature of this particular newspaper. So be cautious taking everything they say as gospel.

Chuck Weaver Guest

Jibe = agree.

Jive = deceptive

"... does not jive..." = not deceptive.

"... does not jibe..." = does not agree.

"That is jive" = deceptive.

Thanks for the "cool" information Gunnar. I, apparently like most of us, have always used "does not jive" which, according to this, means exactly the oposite of what it was intended. Thanks for the lesson.

Back to the subject of this "Dream Home".

As I've mentioned on other threads of this nature, why do they always have to be "dream homes"?

You never hear anyone say, "OH, it was the home we could afford at the time" or "Hey, its better than renting".

No its always a "Dream home".

I tell all my clients not to dare call their home a dream home. Its like putting a curse on it.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Back to the subject of this "Dream Home".

As I've mentioned on other threads of this nature, why do they always have to be "dream homes"?

You never hear anyone say, "OH, it was the home we could afford at the time" or "Hey, its better than renting".

No its always a "Dream home".

I tell all my clients not to dare call their home a dream home. Its like putting a curse on it.

rick

Amen.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

rick
    Rick,

A good ending to that would be to say "Remember, some dreams are called nightmares."

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com