Default Hot water connected to a toilet

I met a guy this weekend who told me he had heard something like 30% of all toilets are supplied incorrectly with hot water. I rarely see it so it is no where near 30% from my experience. Wondering if others see this and how often ?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Hot water connected to a toilet

Rarely but it does happen and it would be easy to miss since I typically only flush once unless I suspect a problem.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Leigh Goodman Guest

Sometimes this is done on purpose because the owner once lived with a "sweaty" toilet bowl (actually condensation and not sweat). I am not recommending this but I have seen it done by design.

Never seen one here. 30% sounds like a BS number.

rick

Toilets are full of bacteria and heated water would only encourage the growth of bacteria. This is why heated water is not to used in toilets for water supply.

rick

I've seen it a few times.

That is the reason I started flushing the toilets AFTER getting hot water to the shower/tub, and then flushing a couple of times.

Have heard that can cause the toilet to crack. I have seen a few cracked toilets but they did not have hot to them (but may have years before?).

When you find a cracked toilet, write it up for replacement, it COULD FAIL with someone sitting on it, and that could be a nightmare you do not want to be involved in.

30% is bunk, not even 3%, not even 0.03% - at least not that I've seen.

Let's say you inspect 5,000 two bathroom two toilet homes for 10,000 toilets and find maybe at most 5 plumbed with hot. That is 0.0005%.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

While on the subject of toilets, this guy got tired of running out of toilet paper or he has a serious problem.

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images