Thread: Girder shim

Default Girder shim

OK I am feeling dumber then a box of rocks tonight. Can't seem to find or think of the answer I need for my report. Girder beam sitting on 1/2" osb plywood and under that a treated piece of lumber.

The osb is starting to swell/deteriorate from high moisture content in the crawl space. I can't recall if osb is allowed for shimming. I know there was a thread awhile back that had the listed types of shims but I could not find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Default Re: Girder shim

OSB should never be used whenever it may come in direct contact with moisture.

It will deteriorate.

Even these guy's can't decide what the meaning is of a beam or girder. Engineering Language/Grammar Skills - Beams and girders

I say in the pick it's a beam and I still nee an answer if anyone has that link to the shim spec It would be great .

Thanks

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

I believe it originally started out as girders supported beams which supported other framing, wood or steel, however, over the centuries the two are now almost interchangeable in sawn lumber framing.

With engineered trusses, there are girder trusses, but no "beam" trusses (to my knowledge).

With engineered wood, such as LVL, you now have built up beams serving as girders (interchangeably again).

The problem in your photo is that OSB is not intended for use as a shim.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I recently read something stating that OSB was definitely not allowed for use as a shim as well, but don't know where I read it. I know I've called it out recently, and it was replaced without argument by the builder.