Default A/C unit into attic

Today I came across a window A/C unit, in an upstairs bonus room, cut through the wall (drywall), into the attic. I immediately wondered what they were doing with the condensate. Answer was, nothing. I looked under and around the unit, but did not see anywhere where the condensate would drain off. So I figured it must be a unit which internally handles it's own condensate.

So the question is: is this okay? It just doesn't seem right. It obviously indicates that there is not enough cooling in that bonus room. There were no windows that would handle the unit, so that was their solution. It creates a hole in the thermal envelope of the house, but it would do the same in a window.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: A/C unit into attic

Your intuition is correct, as usual, NO,NO,NO, wack it. Cannot be installed that way. Lose the broker, save the client! It is what it is, and that is wrong!

Not only is there not enough cooling in the bonus room, but the longer the a/c runs the less it will cool as it is heating the attic up and sucking that air back in to try to cool the air in the room which heats the attic up even hotter and sucks that air back in to try to cool ...

No, that will not work properly nor "as intended".

Here is a good example of what you are doing with that a/c unit: You have a 25 cu ft refrigerator operating with the freezer at -0- degrees and the refrigerator at 33 degrees and it is installed in a small 8 ft by 10 ft kitchen with 7 ft dropped ceiling - you open the doors of the refrigerator and freezer ... how long will it take to cool that kitchen down?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks guys!!!

This place had a lot of things going on. Pretty sure the buyer is going to back out. This is just one more "straw".