Thread: Proper term

Default Proper term

I found this white growth on the wood floor joist beneath a home today. Moisture damage from previous bathroom leak. The wood is sound, but how would I describe the growth? Fungus? Mold like?

James

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    James Bohac

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Proper term

James. its not a fungus. its hard water stain. Q. No leaks?

did you check it with a moisture meter?

The areas between to sub-floor boards and the top of the joist can hide a fungus infection. I would call for further inspection by a termite inspector.

Hops this helps

Best

Ron

I did hit it with a moisture meter and the wood was dry. No signs of WDI. I see this often under these 50 plus year old homes. Should this wood be treated with some sort of chemical/ fungicide?

James Bohac

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Bohac View Post
    I did hit it with a moisture meter and the wood was dry. No signs of WDI. I see this often under these 50 plus year old homes. Should this wood be treated with some sort of chemical/ fungicide?

No. if you do not have a fungus infection then you do not need to treat it.

You should mark things like this put a date on the board helps the next inspector.

Call for further inspection by a licensed termite inspector.

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    I would call for further inspection by a termite inspector.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Bohac View Post
    No signs of WDI.
    Call for further inspection by a licensed termite inspector.
    Going on what is written in the above, James is referring to WDI, which stands for Wood Destroying INSECT and Ron is referring to WDO, which stands for Wood Destroying ORGANISM.

Some states the termite people inspect for WD*I*, in other states the termite people inspect for WD*O*, Florida is one in which the termite inspector which inspects for WDO.

From Ron's comments I am presuming that California also inspects for WDO, while Jame's state only inspects for WDI.

With that being the case, there is no need to bring in a termite inspector do look at wood decay as they are only looking at WDI (insects) - which are not present.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Going on what is written in the above, James is referring to WDI, which stands for Wood Destroying INSECT and Ron is referring to WDO, which stands for Wood Destroying ORGANISM.

Some states the termite people inspect for WD*I*, in other states the termite people inspect for WD*O*, Florida is one in which the termite inspector which inspects for WDO.

From Ron's comments I am presuming that California also inspects for WDO, while Jame's state only inspects for WDI.

With that being the case, there is no need to bring in a termite inspector do look at wood decay as they are only looking at WDI (insects) - which are not present.
    Actually a WDI inspection in many states does include rotted or living organism infected wood as well. Wood rot is wood rot and subject to possibley wood destorying insect infestation. Brown rot, white rot, just plane ole rotted wood are always written up in some states that are doing a WDI inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Actually a WDI inspection in many states does include rotted or living organism infected wood as well. Wood rot is wood rot and subject to possibley wood destorying insect infestation. Brown rot, white rot, just plane ole rotted wood are always written up in some states that are doing a WDI inspection.
    Then it is not a WDI inspection, it is a WDO inspection, which was precisely my point.

Wood decay is not an "insect", it is an "organism".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

WDO or WDI.

WDO = Pest and Infection.

WDI = Pest only ?

Q. IF WDI is for pest only. then who has the license to apply Fungicides ?
    As the application of TIMBOR Fed reg. requires a Licensed to buy and transport along with pollution control insurance.

Best

Ron

WDO or WDI.

WDO = Pest and Infection.

WDI = Pest only ?

Q. IF WDI is for pest only. then who has the license to apply Fungicides ?
    Depends on your state's licensing.

As the application of TIMBOR Fed reg. requires a Licensed to buy and transport along with pollution control insurance.
    The Pest Control Operator would have those, whether they were WD*I* or WD*O*. The WD*I* would use it for their treatments of "insects".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Depends on your state's licensing.

The Pest Control Operator would have those, whether they were WD*I* or WD*O*. The WD*I* would use it for their treatments of "insects".
    The TIMBOR is the only Fungicides That will kill a FUNGUS OR TERMITE.

The copper green stuff has no effect on FUNGUS.

In that it Requires a WDO or WDI license to buy it Then only a License WDI or WDO Can apply it.

Best

Ron

In that it Requires a xxx or WDI license to buy it Then only a License WDI or xxx Can apply it.

That is what I AM SAYING: The pest control operator in a state which licenses its pest control operators as WD*I* *CAN* *BUY IT* and they *DO NOT* need to be a WD*O* pest control operator.

Many states *ONLY* license pest control operators as WD*I*.

Criminey why is that so hard to understand?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

The TIMBOR is the only Fungicides That will kill a FUNGUS OR TERMITE.

The copper green stuff has no effect on FUNGUS.

In that it Requires a WDO or WDI license to buy it Then only a License WDI or WDO Can apply it.

Best

Ron
    I don't know if you still can but anyone used to be able to by Timbor. I did when I did remodel jobs and treated the underside of plywood for crawls and exterior framing a couple feet up. That was in Florida a half dozen years ago or so.

If I am not mistaken you can buy Timbor online and I don't believe you need a license. Have not checked in a while