Default furnace vent material

This is the first time I have seen this material used for a furnace vent. Its an fan assisted induced draft gas furnace. New construction. It has a reversed connection and an unscrewed connection as well.

In addition to that, I suspect this material in not correct. Is this flexible accordion aluminum wrong for use as a vent connector?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: furnace vent material

John,

I believe most of the major manufacturers make a flexible b-vent now. I think Simpson calls theirs "Dura-Connect". Not a whole lot different from regular b-vent installation requirements. They need proper slope and support. The primary visual difference is the fitting at each end. Looks like there was a fitting in the pic that you posted.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Ron Bibler Guest

Did it have a label or any information ?

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Did it have a label or any information ?

Best

Ron

No label on the flexible portion. The fittings were listed as B-type. The flexible portion was soft aluminum. I could easily crush it with my fingers. I thinks it's aluminum dryer duct. The upper fitting was not screwed together.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ron Bibler Guest

I think you are correct John.

Best

Ron

John,

If you look at the pic that you posted, the corrugations appear to spiral up the material. That is typical for the Dura-Connect product and possibly the others. If you look at the pic in the link that you provided, the corrugations do not spiral but are concentric. Without actually being there, I would say that it is an approved material.

However, you mention that the upper fitting was not screwed together. Did it have a fitting?

Gunnar,

In post # 4 above is the picture of the upper connection.

Shouldn't the approved material be stainless steel? This stuff was aluminum. Look at the first picture I posted. Near the bottom you see a small dent. I did that with moderate pressure of my thumb. It's not steel. No way.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Shouldn't the approved material be stainless steel? This stuff was aluminum. Look at the first picture I posted. Near the bottom you see a small dent. I did that with moderate pressure of my thumb. It's not steel. No way.
    Actually, the inner liner of a Simpson DuraVent b-vent is aluminum. I don't think any standard b-vent is stainless.

Yes, the stuff is pretty fragile. If you are uncomfortable with the material or installation, let your client know.

John, I think this is what you have there.
    http://www.americanmetalproducts.com...20-%20ADFC.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Keefe View Post
    You're on the trail there.

Here is what I found with further searching. Check page 24 of the following. It says its aluminum double wall B vent.

http://www.americanmetalproducts.com...dition%204.pdf

I'll write up the loose unscrewed connection and leave it at that.

Thanks everyone.

John, The instructions I have also say it is aluminum (#6 in instructions). It also says sheet metal screws are not necessary.

I'm not sure, but when they say screws are not needed, I think they mean when the connector is attached to other American Metal Products.

It is snapped in tight at the bottom to a similar product. But, at the top where is transitions to standard B-vent, the connection is loose. There is no positive connection holding it together up there. Even one screw to hold it in place would be nice.

Jack Murdock Guest

John,
    What is the end away from the furnace connected to? Those connectors are used when installers are too lazy to use all b-vent or single wall when appropriate clearances can be met. B-vent should not be used on a draft induced appliance (non-condensing) unless its going into a working chimney properly sized for the appliance(s) with a good draft and/or liner. Greetings from rain soaked NY State. Jack