Jody Humbert Guest

Question Outside disconnect

I encountered this disconnect on the exterior of a farmhouse. There appears to be 200 amp service entrance wire. Then there are 3 service wires tapped under the fuses that go to 3 different 100 amp panels. There are no 100 amp disconnect breakers in these panels. I seem to run into more than one wire tapping off of fuses more in rural areas than in the city. When I talk to electricians about this, they seem to feel this is okay(they also think a double tap on breakers is acceptable as long as the breaker can handle the load and the connection is tight) as long as the load is correct. Is this allowed or correct? Does the same apply with fuses as it does breakers? One wire under one screw unless it is approved for more than one( Square D) Thanks for any repiles in advance.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Outside disconnect

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Humbert View Post
    I encountered this disconnect on the exterior of a farmhouse. There appears to be 200 amp service entrance wire. Then there are 3 service wires tapped under the fuses that go to 3 different 100 amp panels. There are no 100 amp disconnect breakers in these panels. I seem to run into more than one wire tapping off of fuses more in rural areas than in the city. When I talk to electricians about this, they seem to feel this is okay(they also think a double tap on breakers is acceptable as long as the breaker can handle the load and the connection is tight) as long as the load is correct. Is this allowed or correct? Does the same apply with fuses as it does breakers? One wire under one screw unless it is approved for more than one( Square D) Thanks for any repiles in advance.
    JH: The "electricians" you are referring to must not have cracked a code book since long before Watergate.

Jody,

Are you sure those feeder conductors are large enough for 100 amps?

As far as double-tapping, they are fine as long as they are not on my house or anything that I have inspected.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Jody,

Those "electricians" also probably think that whatever else they do is also okay as long as the house does not burn down.

Nope - NOT okay.

You have pointed out one of the reasons I keep saying not to call for "evaluation", you may get someone like that in and their "evaluation" will say you are nutso and it is A-Okay.

Call for repairs, and list what you can, then add "and any other items found or created during those repairs".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jody Humbert Guest

The wire size(2 copper to 4 Alum) appeared to be correct for at least 100 amp. I also wondered if the panel says there can be more than one wire under the lug, then is that alright? It looks to me that there can be a much better solution to how this should have been wired. Thanks for the replies. I will recommend that the service be repaired.

jody,
    i would recommend the service be repaired also. the sub panel needs repairing also. isolate the neutrals,wires not secured entering the sub panel, no bushings,etc etc etc....