Default Identifying Stream Systems

Condo in 30 unit 1920s vintage building. Two pipe system at radiators, no access to boiler. It's June, heating system not running. How can I determine if this has been converted to a hydronic, or remains a steam system?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Brian E Kelly Guest

Default Re: Identifying Stream Systems

One way is the return condensate piping should go directly into boiler and the steam boiler the piping goes into a type of loop. Also the vents on the radiators should have a different vent and most important is the steam boiler has a sight glass to see the water level in the boiler. If you have a photo post and I can look at it better.

"no access to boiler"

If it's a 2 pipe steam system, there is no air vent on the radiator. You will see a steam trap at the base of the radiator at the pipe. (Link to steam trap)
    The hydronic system will have a air bleeder valve at the top of the radiator.

MarshSteam.com - Marsh Steam Traps

Thanks. I was aware of looking for the thermostatic traps, and of the fact that that on a two pipe steam system the inlet pipe is usually at the top of the radiator. But around here a lot stream systems ave be converted to hydronic, and I was just wondering if anyone could think of any other way to tell if that has happened without access to the boiler - for example, will a converted system function if the TTs remain in the system?