Default How many of you see premature water heater leaks ?

How many of you see premature water heater leaks ? meaning a leaking water heater that is fairly new (5 years or less). I am referring to a tank leak, not a plumbing connection leak. I have see two in the past 300 or so inspections. Just wondered what others see, what generally what percentage thereabouts of early failures?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: How many of you see premature water heater leaks ?

I average about 10 water heaters a year with leaking tanks that where still within the 6 year tank warranty. In most cases they fail due to mishandling, and the inner lining gets cracked. Also some units might have had the anode rods removed due to the rotten egg smell, which will shorten the life of the tank.

Joshua Hardesty Guest

As a plumber, none that I've installed have started leaking prematurely. *crosses fingers*

However, that doesn't include manufacturing defects that I noticed as soon as I filled the tank: cracked bungs, thermostats cross-threaded, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Hardesty View Post
    As a plumber, none that I've installed have started leaking prematurely. *crosses fingers*

However, that doesn't include manufacturing defects that I noticed as soon as I filled the tank: cracked bungs, thermostats cross-threaded, etc.
    I have to say all the warranty calls I get are from installs I never done. I ask the people why not call the plumber that installed the unit. They reply with" I did not like him, and feel the reason my unit is defective is do to his poor quality install."

Have manufacturers started making these tanks with thinner steel walls? I had heard this recently. The thinner walls will make the tanks leak quicker, tanks will only last 4-5 years. Anyone hear of this?

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Keefe View Post
    Have manufacturers started making these tanks with thinner steel walls? I had heard this recently. The thinner walls will make the tanks leak quicker, tanks will only last 4-5 years. Anyone hear of this?
    That would not make good business sense. Since they warranty all their tanks for 6 years.

Ken Bates Guest

NACHI produced an educational video about tankless water heaters.

The featured plumber/installer said, "in order to conform to govt. mandated efficiency enhancement; manufacturers are using thinner gauge steel to improve heat transfer."

The plumber makes a living installing $2,500 tankless units but he may be factual.

Anecdotal thought: I use four cast iron skillets for cooking and several copper bottomed (Revere Ware) and Aluminum skillets and though I think the initial heat transfer rate varies I don't think therms are wasted. ( maybee this will start a cooking thread )

Last edited by Ken Bates; 07-06-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Anecdotal thought

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bates View Post
    NACHI produced an educational video about tankless water heaters.

The featured plumber/installer said, "in order to conform to govt. mandated efficiency enhancement; manufacturers are using thinner gauge steel to improve heat transfer."

The plumber makes a living installing $2,500 tankless units but he may be factual.

Anecdotal thought: I use four cast iron skillets for cooking and several copper bottomed (Revere Ware) and Aluminum skillets and though I think the initial heat transfer rate varies I don't think therms are wasted. ( maybee this will start a cooking thread )
    Tankless units need to heat up fast so thinner makes sense, not so for standard tanks, IMO.