A.D. Miller Guest

Default ASHI Pre-Drywall Standards

Maybe, just maybe, I read the new ASHI Reporter article wrong, but it appears to me that the geniuses there are attempting to brew up a pre-drywall SOP that departs from the building code, manufacturers' installation instructions, and the construction plans. What?!

Does this even make sense? If you do not inspect new construction per those three criteria, what then? Chicken entrails?

And, this is the one that takes the cake:

2. Inspection Timing

2.1 Inspections performed in accordance with these Standards should occur after the following components have been installed in a manner required by the Authority Having Jurisdiction for its pre-interior wall covering inspection.

I did a few drugs in the 70's, can't remember now just which ones, but never anything as potent as what the ASHI Standards Committee must be doing today.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: ASHI Pre-Drywall Standards

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, I read the new ASHI Reporter article wrong, but it appears to me that the geniuses there are attempting to brew up a pre-drywall SOP that departs from the building code, manufacturers' installation instructions, and the construction plans. What?!

Does this even make sense? If you do not inspect new construction per those three criteria, what then? Chicken entrails?

And, this is the one that takes the cake:

2. Inspection Timing

2.1 Inspections performed in accordance with these Standards should occur after the following components have been installed in a manner required by the Authority Having Jurisdiction for its pre-interior wall covering inspection.

I did a few drugs in the 70's, can't remember now just which ones, but never anything as potent as what the ASHI Standards Committee must be doing today.
    Arron, I think you read it wrong.

If you do not do a pre-drywall inspection prior to the wall covering (installation of the drywall) then how and when would you do it? Granted the verbaige is a little cumbersome.

Right now the draft of the pre-drywall standards is over on the ASHI discussion board and is going through membership comments and evaluation. They also have a Pool and Spa standard (it is my understanding that this is pretty much what the State of AZ is going to require) draft going through the same process.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

SP:

No, I think I read this right, and you read it wrong:

1.2 D. Inspections performed in accordance with these Standards do not confirm compliance with: 1. building codes and other governmental laws and regulations, 2. manufacturer's installation instructions, 3. construction plans, drawings, and specifications.

That seems pretty clear to me, assuming that we are in agreement that English is the operative language.

As to your first statement, go back and read my post - carefully this time. Your contention that I am advocating doing a pre-drywall inspection after the wall covering is applied is both absurd, counterintuitive and nowhere to be found in my post.

My contention regards the statement, " . . .installed in the manner required by the Authority Having Jurisdiction . . .". To simplify this for you, if the AHJ has already approved the installation AND you are not using the code, installation instructions, or plans as benchmarks, just what the hell are you there for?

Sorry folks, this is just another attempt on the part of an HI organization to grant unearned authority or credibility to organization members via the publication of yet another specious SOP.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    SP:

No, I think I read this right, and you read it wrong:

1.2 D. Inspections performed in accordance with these Standards do not confirm compliance with: 1. building codes and other governmental laws and regulations, 2. manufacturer's installation instructions, 3. construction plans, drawings, and specifications.

That seems pretty clear to me, assuming that we are in agreement that English is the operative language.

As to your first statement, go back and read my post - carefully this time. Your contention that I am advocating doing a pre-drywall inspection after the wall covering is applied is both absurd, counterintuitive and nowhere to be found in my post.

My contention regards the statement, " . . .installed in the manner required by the Authority Having Jurisdiction . . .". To simplify this for you, if the AHJ has already approved the installation AND you are not using the code, installation instructions, or plans as benchmarks, just what the hell are you there for?

Sorry folks, this is just another attempt on the part of an HI organization to grant unearned authority or credibility to organization members via the publication of yet another specious SOP.
    No, I read it correctly. We are just not agreeing on it's intent. As the old parable said "you are straining on a camel and choking on the gnat".

That paragraph is a legal disclaimer, all standards have them. It is to protect the person that is doing the inspection.

Let me ask you this question:
    When you perform a pre-drywall inspection do you state that all of the items in the home are all in compliance with: 1. building codes and other governmental laws and regulations, 2. manufacturer's installation instructions, 3. construction plans, drawings, and specifications?

I have never seen anyone go out on the liability limb and state that everything in the home meets all of the above.

Now if an inspector boy wants to say that they guarantee that they are guaranteeing that the home is in 100% compliance with: 1. building codes and other governmental laws and regulations, 2. manufacturer's installation instructions, 3. construction plans, drawings, and specifications; they can do that and not use those standards. It is up to every single inspector on how they want to do it, nobody is going to require anyone to use these standards.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

That should read something like this:

2. Inspection Timing

2.1 Inspections performed in accordance with these Standards should occur after the following components have been installed and prior to being covered over and hidden from view.

The wording "pre-interior wall covering inspection" is foreign to AHJ - no where does any AHJ do a "pre-interior wall covering inspection" ... who to heck care was the wall looks like after it has been taped and finished before wallpaper or paint is to be applied? THAT is what that is implying.

They are trying soooooo hard to "make up words" to avoid saying what the code says: (underlining and bold are mine)
    - R109.1.2 Plumbing, mechanical, gas and electrical systems inspection.Rough inspection of plumbing, mechanical, gas and electrical systems shall be made prior to covering or concealment, before fixtures or appliances are set or installed, and prior to framing inspection.

The pre-drywall inspection also includes inspecting the framing.

I agree with Aaron - if you are doing a pre-drywall inspection and NOT LOOKING FOR "code" items, WTF are you doing there anyway? You certainly are not doing your clients a "service", if anything you are doing them a "disservice".

Looks like ASHI is trying to beat Nick to the punch this time and create a meaningless standard so they can provide a meaningless certification.

Hey Nick, I can work out something with you to create an actual real set standards to do a real pre-drywall inspection to those real standards, and with real certifications. All you need to do is contact me. Fee is negotiable, could have it out by the end of the week if needed.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

SP: Camels and gnats, eh?

If, as you say, these are simply voluntary standards that "nobody is going to require anyone to use", then they are specious. What value do they provide other than the possibility of misleading home buyers regarding the qualifications of their ASHI inspectors to perform new construction inspections?

A.D. Miller Guest

if you are doing a pre-drywall inspection and NOT LOOKING FOR "code" items, WTF are you doing there anyway? You certainly are not doing your clients a "service", if anything you are doing them a "disservice".
    JP: Yes sir.

Looks like ASHI is trying to beat Nick to the punch this time and create a meaningless standard so they can provide a meaningless certification.
    JP: It is called playing catch up.

Hey Nick, I can work out something with you to create an actual real set standards to do a real pre-drywall inspection to those real standards, and with real certifications. All you need to do is contact me. Fee is negotiable, could have it out by the end of the week if needed.
    JP: Let us know how that turns out . . .

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Jerry are you still trying to get that motor home, and 6 figure salary from ole nickie.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI