Default Indoor AC compressor

Somewhat similar to Roger's last question. What threw me was that the compressor unit is installed in a closed metal box in the basement utility room. I don't see lots of AC units in this area anyway (Montana), so don't have lots of exposure to unusual installations.

House is built sometime in 1970's, can't say how old the stand-alone AC unit is (heat is supplied by a seperate oil-fired hot water boiler system). I would guess maybe 15-20 years old?

After I stared dumbly at this box in the basement utility room for a while, I finally figured out that a water (cold) water supply line ran into the box, I suppose through the coils that surround the compressor, and then out to a drain. Water supply [seems] to be controlled by a little gizmo box by the floor ("gizmo" is highly technical term for what I assume is a thermostatically controlled shut off valve).

No manufacturer's tag on this Carrier compressor housing, just the brand name tag
    Model # of Carrier air handler in attic is 490HH003300
    Serial # on air handler is J425546

QUESTION: Does this look odd to anyone? Besides overheating the basement utility room, is there any obvious problem with a water-cooled compressor set-up like this? I know that some commercial system probably work in a similar water-cooled fashion. It seemed to work ok, but just threw me for a complete loop for a while.

By the way, due to the lack of a techinical label on the compressor unit, have another question. The electrical service is 20-amp/240-volt. I asume that would normally be adequate for the compressor?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Indoor AC compressor

Hey Terry see

Richard Moore vbmenu_register("postmenu_21069", true);

"Insider" indoor heat pump
    Has anyone seen one of these in a stick built home?

This post may help you.

Best

Ron

Thanks Ron, saw Richard's post, but did not see anything that applied to this installation.

Obviously there is a noise factor. And despite the water cooling coil, there is some significant ambient heat loss in the room.
    (someone even rigged up a little duct and fan to pipe the excess heat from the basement utility room to the garage - violating fire code).

I guess my question is has anyone ever seen an indoor compressor installation, and is there any unusual concerns? This one has obviously been working for some years.

The drain set-up is funky. The condesate drain line that also dumps into the drainpipe (the garden hose) is from the air handler in the attic; no air gap. Can't verify if there is a p-trap under the slab (that drain was reportedly previously used for a washing mashine), but I seriously doubt it.

I'd have concerns about the viability of the water supply that cools the unit; something would have to go wrong someday. Etc, Etc.

Ron Bibler Guest

It looks like some weakened warrior had just a bit to much time on his hands.

Ive only had one system like that. It was installed in non permitted converted basement and the return/supply air was vented in from the exterior lest then a foot away from the water heaters exhaust vent pipe

Any ways You got under control.

Best

Ron