Default Decline a Stucco inspection ? Liability ?

Today I declined "the opportunity" to inspect a 30 year old stucco home in Dallas. There were a lot of problems, so the stucco was not the main reason for declining it, however it got me to wondering about the conditon of 30 year old stucco and what kind of inspection liabilities and pit falls may exist with stucco of this age. I don't have a ton of experience with stucco anyway. Another inspector last week told me will not inspect stucco homes due to potential liability issues. How many of you feel the same ?

Gene

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Decline a Stucco inspection ? Liability ?

Not a problem. I inspected a 4 plex today. with stucco
    extending below the exterior soil grade. this type stucco limits the inspector’s access, can cause an excessive moisture

condition. and provide a safe entrance for sub-termites. this stucco system noted cracks/checking.

These would be standard condition for this type and year of stucco.
    most of the time the tar paper is no longer doing its job as a moisture barrier and is now exposing the interior sheet rock/framing to moisture.

you should look at ways to put these condition in your report to advise the buyer just what is going on with the stucco and inside the walls.
    further inspection time.

Best
    Ron

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Thanks Ron, for the input. I know Stucco exist a lot in California, however it is not very common here in Dallas, where nearly every house is brick. We have stucco homes, however usually in a neighborhood of 200 homes, there may be one stucco, if that.

Ron Bibler Guest

Look at the other post that will be along soon. and put together a statement for stucco and what the new owner should known.

No need to loose work over this issue.

Best

Ron

IMO, the only way to inspect stucco specifically would be an invasive inspection, to check for moisture inside the wall. We don't do this, and you want to let the client know it's a visual only. Then try to determine if it is good old hardcoat, 3 layers, or if it's the cheezy sprayed on variety. Check window and door head flashing or if no flashing, check for a tight seal. Point out cracks, chips, gaps. Check around with a moisture meter.
    Around here, if the stucco goes right to the ground on an old house, there might not be a proper foundation, just a wood sill stuccoed over and rotten. Not many left like that. Usually hard coat stucco is no problem. If it's EIFS, don't stick your neck out for one lousy inspection fee.

I need to make sure I understand the difference between EIFS and other stucco. I will research it a bit. Any knowledge you can share is appreciated.

Thanks

Gene

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    I need to make sure I understand the difference between EIFS and other stucco. I will research it a bit. Any knowledge you can share is appreciated.

Thanks

Gene
    GS: If you have specific questions, email me. If you want to decline these in the future, refer them to me.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    GS: If you have specific questions, email me. If you want to decline these in the future, refer them to me.
    Or Gene can go with you and learn.

You do the inspection, get the mucho dineros, and Gene learns about stucco, win-win (man, how I *HATE* that term - wish there was a puking icon for here).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

We've had sevearal companies in my area who DID invasive EIFS inspections.... most are running from lawsuits or otherwise out of business.

Two common scenarios:

1 - Missed a bunch of stuff
    2 - Called out a bunch of damage, house was torn apart, no damage found. Hmmmm, now who pays to put this back together?

Things are a bit different up here in the soggy Pacific NW and true stucco is a lot different than EIFS... It's just nothing I'd ever take on. Too much liability claiming to see inside of walls.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Gene,

Aaron is one of the absolute best resources for stucco & EIFS in the DFW market.

Thanks guys.

Gene

A.D. Miller Guest

Or Gene can go with you and learn.
    JP: Sure, if GS has proof of his own general liability insurance.

No insurance = no ride.

Mark Schniers Guest

Post Re: Decline a Stucco inspection ? Liability ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Look at the other post that will be along soon. and put together a statement for stucco and what the new owner should known.

No need to loose work over this issue.

Best

Ron
    That's right! Become the expert and maybe purchase a moisture meter stucco probe attachment.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Schniers View Post
    That's right! Become the expert and maybe purchase a moisture meter stucco probe attachment.
    MS: Spoken like a true HGTV-ager. Let's run right out and buy this or that meter and call ourselves experts in this or that.

Yeah, right.

Gene,
    Don't miss the money. There is a way to check eifs and stucco without being evasive. Email me at mboyd.homesafe@gmail.com; I'll forward you the info, or give me a phone number and I'll give you a call. This goes for other interested parties. Thanks, Mike Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boyd View Post
    Gene,
    Don't miss the money. There is a way to check eifs and stucco without being evasive. Email me at mboyd.homesafe@gmail.com; I'll forward you the info, or give me a phone number and I'll give you a call. This goes for other interested parties. Thanks, Mike Boyd
    Sorry, but IR is not the magic pill. It is just another tool that can help. I just finished working on a litigation case where the home inspector used his IR camera to declare a home with EIFS had no problems. about six months after the owners moved in they had bathroom remodeled and found an entire wall rotted out under a large window. It did not show up in the IR pictures. The EIFS on this home had many problems, that resulted in it being torn off. As it was torn off damage was found under almost every window.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Sorry if we are jumping the gun here. When was IR mentioned? There was an inquiry made and I responded. Again, if someone is interested, let me know. Mike Boyd, Pelham, Alabama

Terry Wilson Guest

I normally just read these posts but this time I was compelled to reply.

Where did the the IR statement come from? But since this has been opened up let me clarify the potential benefit of IR. And I don't believe IR was touted as a magic pill but that being said, as with all of our tools none are a magic pill, it assists with performing a home inspection.

Proper training is required to be able to use this equipment. A 8-16 hour course does not constitute proper training. Is anyone utilizing IR doing continuing education? If someone wants to list certifications in IR that is fine. I am a SIRI Certified Inspector, and am licensed to use IR. My initial training was 44 hours on the camera and principals, along with proper field training. I have used IR for the last 3 years with no problems and that includes inspections on stucco, drivet and EIFS. I have been able to detect moisture problems, water leaks within walls and insect infestations that would have been missed by traditional inspection methods. I have been able verify potential heating and cooling loses as well as potential electrical problems that visually would have been missed. Do I or can I check everything No. You can only visually inspect approximately 33% of a structure, I believe my percentage is increased by utilizing IR, on finding potential problems. I do not bill IR as the major or miracle tool in my arsenal, it is another tool that I use, to do the best possible job for my clients.

As HI'S our inspections are non-invasive and shouldn't all tools available be utilized to assist in our processes. Everyone should look at all suspicious areas as "Trust but Verify". Trust your equipment but verify your findings. As we continue our knowledge training we should continue training on our equipment as well. We are only as good as the knowledge we have and our knowledge of the equipment we use.

Training is the key to being able to utilize our tools to their potential. We have to have open minds to accept new technology and be willing to get the proper training and experience. Only then will be able to be represent our field and the technology we use.

If anyone is interested in the training or equipment I currently use let me know.

Terry Wilson
    Goodlettsville, TN
    TN HI #243

Sorry if we are jumping the gun here. When was IR mentioned?
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wilson View Post

Where did the the IR statement come from?
    The IR reference possibly came from a quick Google search on "mike boyd, homesafe", which resulted in:
    SIRI Certified Inspectors List
    Michael Boyd, Alabama HomeSafe Inspection, Birmingham ... Jerry Tschikof, HomeSafe Inspection

Which takes you to: SIRI Certified Inspectors List

I suspect that is where the IR came from. Just because someone says to contact them off list and "I'll forward you the info, or give me a phone number and I'll give you a call. This goes for other interested parties." does not make that information good.

In fact, by offering to contact off list almost indicates there is something to hide, otherwise provide the information on the board, for all to see, and for all to respond to, and to give all a chance to correct any potentially incorrect information.

If the information is legitimate, why not offer it on the board?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

ASHI member-InterNACHI member-P.E. Ronald Huffman offers an online video course on Stucco and EIFS. It is specifically for home inspectors.
    Advanced Stucco EIFS Inspection Training for Home and Commercial Property Inspectors - InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    ASHI member-InterNACHI member-P.E. Ronald Huffman offers an online video course on Stucco and EIFS. It is specifically for home inspectors.
    Advanced Stucco EIFS Inspection Training for Home and Commercial Property Inspectors - InterNACHI
    Hmmm. An on-line course with a $500. discount?
    Ole nickey must be getting pretty desperate for $sss.

Now he even tries to getting free advertizing on a HI chat board that he tried to hijack..

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Jerry Peck,
    It's all above board, but a forum is no place to carry on lengthy discussions. One thing about it, if you contact me and don't agree or like what I have to say...hang up or hit delete.
    Mike Boyd
    P.S. To those of you that did respond..... Thanks, and I'm in the process of getting you the information as promised.

Mike .
    Is it your company that threatens to sue Home Inspectors that perform IR inspections, if they don't pay you a fee, for each IR inspection they perform?

Last edited by Dan Harris; 07-17-2009 at 08:54 AM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Sorry if we are jumping the gun here. When was IR mentioned? There was an inquiry made and I responded. Again, if someone is interested, let me know. Mike Boyd, Pelham, Alabama
    Hi Mike, sorry for jumping the gun. Jerry had it right, IR was an easy assumption.

So if your technique does not involve IR, then would you care to share with the folks on the forum so we can all benifit and learn?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    Advanced Stucco EIFS Inspection Training for Home and Commercial Property Inspectors
    Ron is a good guy and does do a good job at presenting his information on Stucco and EIFS. For a PE he even has a since of humor!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Dan, I own several frachises, not HomeSafe itself. HomeSafe doesn't sue for use of infrared, it's for infringing on HomeSafe's patents that have been approved. You can find the patents on their website, or I would be glad to send them to you. I have to follow the same protocol as anyone else when patents are involved. The patents were pending when I bought my frachises, and now that they have been approved, I have to pay the piper. The licensing fee is reasonable, and there is no better training on ir available.

Mike

Christopher Jones Guest

Decline stucco? Sorry, I had to chuckle. In Las Vegas, that's all we have.

Jerry Peck,
    It's all above board, but a forum is no place to carry on lengthy discussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Hi Mike, sorry for jumping the gun. Jerry had it right, IR was an easy assumption.

So if your technique does not involve IR, then would you care to share with the folks on the forum so we can all benifit and learn?
    Mike,

No problem if the discussions become lengthy, all good discussions do.

If the information is above board, and you say it is so I will believe you unless shown differently, then do as Scott and I have said:
    Scott: "So if your technique does not involve IR, then would you care to share with the folks on the forum so we can all benifit and learn?"

After all that IS what we do on this board.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Sorry, but IR is not the magic pill. It is just another tool that can help. I just finished working on a litigation case where the home inspector used his IR camera to declare a home with EIFS had no problems. about six months after the owners moved in they had bathroom remodeled and found an entire wall rotted out under a large window. It did not show up in the IR pictures. The EIFS on this home had many problems, that resulted in it being torn off. As it was torn off damage was found under almost every window.
    SP: Many, many thanks for that! No truer words were ever spoken on this subject.

[QUOTE][Aaron is one of the absolute best resources for stucco & EIFS in the DFW market./QUOTE]

Well, if Aaron is as good or better at stucco and EIFS inspections as he is at riling up some members on this forum, he must be good.

Ron Bibler Guest

I Scott. can you please give a bit more info on this case. It has me thinking how in the heck can an inspector be so dim to get sued over issue like this. Now I known one can over look things but please help us out with this Scott. I like to sit back and look at others mistakes in hopes i can understand things a bit better. I have inspected I don't know way over a 1000 EIFS Homes over the last 20 plus years and never had a problem. There had to be some things that he just flat over looked.

I do have moisture meters and 2 IR Cameras.

Thanks Scott.

Best

Ron

I Scott. can you please give a bit more info on this case. It has me thinking how in the heck can an inspector be so dim to get sued over issue like this. Now I known one can over look things but please help us out with this Scott. I like to sit back and look at others mistakes in hopes i can understand things a bit better. I have inspected I don't know way over a 1000 EIFS Homes over the last 20 plus years and never had a problem. There had to be some things that he just flat over looked.

I do have moisture meters and 2 IR Cameras.

Thanks Scott.

Best

Ron
    It had not rained 6 weeks prior to the initial inspection and it was done in mid August.

On the above home, when I looked at the house the first thing I say was a brownish stain that came from under he backwraped EIFS on the concrete slab under a window. A BIG RED FLAG was waving in the breeze that anyone could see, if they were looking with their eyes and not the IR camera
    What I have posted is about all I can say, the case was settled. I was working for the plaintiff.

I too have done well over a 1000 EIFS or similar clad homes and buildings over the past 15 years, it really is not rocket science. You just have to pay attention to the details. .

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Dan, I own several frachises, not HomeSafe itself. HomeSafe doesn't sue for use of infrared, it's for infringing on HomeSafe's patents that have been approved. You can find the patents on their website, or I would be glad to send them to you. I have to follow the same protocol as anyone else when patents are involved. The patents were pending when I bought my frachises, and now that they have been approved, I have to pay the piper. The licensing fee is reasonable, and there is no better training on ir available.

Mike
    Mike, I am a little curious though. I could not find you listed on the State of Alabama Building Commissions site (they license home inspectors and EIFS inspectors in AL). If you are inspecting in AL you need to have a license for home inspecting and belive it or not for EIFS inspections as well.

I think AL is the only state that requires an seperate EIFS inspector license.

So, do you have a license in AL? I did see Steve Flickinger listed, but not you. Now Steve does not have an EIFS license, so I hope he is not doing EIFS inspections.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

This discussion brought up the question in my mind about IR techniques.
    If the area is dry as it might be here in North Texas as well as other more arid areas, is there any thing to see on the IR camera?
    I understand there must be a temperature differential for IR to be successful and with no moisture, then no image, right?
    This would seem to severely limit the use of IR for moisture intrusion inspections for more arid regions of the country for at least a good portion of the year.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

A.D. Miller Guest

Well, if Aaron is as good or better at stucco and EIFS inspections as he is at riling up some members on this forum, he must be good.
    BW: Even better.

Ted Menelly Guest

BW: Even better.

Hmmmm

That's all

Hmmmmm

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Hmmmm

That's all

Hmmmmm
    TM: Don't tempt me friend. I refuse to say that there are not even 1000 EIFS houses in the entire state of Texas due to the fact that there are not more than 800 or 900 Texans stupid enough to buy one. But, like I said, I refuse to say that. Not me.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    This discussion brought up the question in my mind about IR techniques.
    If the area is dry as it might be here in North Texas as well as other more arid areas, is there any thing to see on the IR camera?
    I understand there must be a temperature differential for IR to be successful and with no moisture, then no image, right?
    This would seem to severely limit the use of IR for moisture intrusion inspections for more arid regions of the country for at least a good portion of the year.
    Hey Jim IR Can be very tricky to use and one needs to understand how to work the camera and the wall you plan to image. its not like just point and shoot. I use space heater and image from one side and then another. moisture meters and testing procedures that I have found that work for me to get the information I need.

Look at the Images attached. in the nomal photo you can see an out line on the ceiling. the odd thing is with out the flash from the camera this out line is not visible. only with the flash from the camer can you see the out line on the ceiling. Note this ceiling was dry as a bone, Yet the IR camera from the direction I did this image shows the past water damage to the sheet rock.

One thing that I always state in my report is the date of the last rain. if its been 60 day 90 day 120 day. its in my report.

I hope this helps.

Best

Ron

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

TM: Don't tempt me friend. I refuse to say that there are not even 1000 EIFS houses in the entire state of Texas due to the fact that there are not more than 800 or 900 Texans stupid enough to buy one. But, like I said, I refuse to say that. Not me.
    What about "adobe", synthetic stucco sprayed on OSB? Seems to me there are whole towns built like that down your way.

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    What about "adobe", synthetic stucco sprayed on OSB? Seems to me there are whole towns built like that down your way.

Say John that car you are standing next to. 1952 Chev?

That was my first car at age 13.

Best

Ron

Look at the Images attached. in the normal photo you can see an out line on the ceiling. the odd thing is with out the flash from the camera this out line is not visible. only with the flash from the camera can you see the out line on the ceiling. Note this ceiling was dry as a bone, Yet the IR camera from the direction I did this image shows the past water damage to the sheet rock.
    I regularly use the flash or sometimes camera with no flash to bring out the visible damage in the photo and then use photo editing to enhance the image.
    What is showing in the IR image in your post if it is dry, or was it just not thoroughly dry? I say this since I doubt that water damage to building materials will show as a thermal anomaly once it is thoroughly dry. Enlighten me.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ron Bibler Guest

I regularly use the flash or sometimes camera with no flash to bring out the visible damage in the photo and then use photo editing to enhance the image.
    What is showing in the IR image in your post if it is dry, or was it just not thoroughly dry? I say this since I doubt that water damage to building materials will show as a thermal anomaly once it is thoroughly dry. Enlighten me.
    Sheet Rock will change after it has been wet and water delamination has occurred. you need a good Camera to see these things and you need other testing to confrimed these issue.

Hope this helps.

Best

Ron

Most likely it is those moldy thingys (technical terms) which grow on cellulose materials, such as the paper on gypsum board.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

gary gramling Guest

If we stayed away from stucco, we would have a lot of time on our hands. But, not too many EIFs locally. See more in Yuma, AZ, than here.
    In my experience, if you've got wood frame damage under window openings, it is more likely caused by improper window installation and/or improper flashing installation...essentially the same thing.
    So, saying that, you can't KNOW that there is a problem with a non-invasive inspection. But, you can identify wide separations between window frames and stucco, excessively wide cracks in stucco (rule of thumb is more than the width edge of a quarter), broken or missing stucco at top or bottom of wall. Any of these are potential sources of water infiltration. Identify. Identify. Identify.
    Gary

Say John that car you are standing next to. 1952 Chev?
    That was my first car at age 13. Best
    Ron
    Nope, it's a '50. The '52 has teeth on the grill and bigger running lights. Same flaky drivetrain.
    Now back to stucco.

Quote Originally Posted by gary gramling View Post
    In my experience, if you've got wood frame damage under window openings, it is more likely caused by improper window installation and/or improper flashing installation...essentially the same thing.

Which is all part and parcel for the application of stucco.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

gary gramling Guest

Jim is absolutely correct.

gary gramling Guest

Sorry about that. It's Friday and approaching Margarita time.
    I don't know if Jim is correct; but, Jarry is.
    Gary

Stephen Meyer Guest

Mike Boyd,
    Are you the Mike Boyd from Rowlett?

Steve Meyer,
    San Antonio

Ted Menelly Guest

I'll show you a whole nasty neighborhood of them and right in front of that neighborhood is a almost new town home complex covered with the crap.....and flat roofs...What a combo!!!!!!!!!!

If I get any calls from them I will point them in your direction.

Also....When I give you an opening on a thread don't be shy to run with it. I know how shy you are

Mark Aakjar Guest

Stocco/Eifs is growing here in the northeast and the most common problems I see are in the installation where the sheathing is to tight, vapor barrier/tyvec used is not stucco rated, and expansion joints are limited or not used at all.

Bobby Matchureck Guest

Default Re: Decline a Stucco inspection ? Liability ? How much stucco is really out there?

Hey, been looking on this thread, and wondering about liability and stucco--how many stucco homes are out there? Does anyone have any figures on this? I am in California, and while I can say that it's a lot, as in, over 50% of commercial and residential buildings in Southern California seem to be stucco, is there any way to find good hard numbers on the amount of Stucco sided buildings are out there? I'm not just wondering about CA, but the whole southwest, as I can't imagine too much stucco back east.

Any ideas -numbers on this one?

Timothy M. Barr Guest

I am new at this efi building style.Being here in ne Ohio ,we don't use efi very much.Where might a person find more ifo about it.
    Thank you inadvance

Found an interesting "Industry" website about stucco info. Might be useful.

Stucco Resources Stucco Materials Stucco Technology | Stucco Guru - Welcome

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Hi Gene,

Its good to hear an honest inspector decline a job outside their comfort area. With training and experience it should a skill you can acquire with a reasonable investment of time.
    Of course the business side requires enough market demand for you to invest the time to develop your skills.

In my opinion, the siding material does not influence the liability risk of a home inspection.

Gene: Stucco is very common, You should make a point of getting all the info you can to educate yourself, after all you are getting paid to evluate the siding in your report.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wilson View Post

Where did the the IR statement come from? But since this has been opened up let me clarify the potential benefit of IR. And I don't believe IR was touted as a magic pill but that being said, as with all of our tools none are a magic pill, it assists with performing a home inspection.

Proper training is required to be able to use this equipment. A 8-16 hour course does not constitute proper training. Is anyone utilizing IR doing continuing education? If someone wants to list certifications in IR that is fine. I am a SIRI Certified Inspector, and am licensed to use IR. My initial training was 44 hours on the camera and principals, along with proper field training. I have used IR for the last 3 years with no problems and that includes inspections on stucco, drivet and EIFS. I have been able to detect moisture problems, water leaks within walls and insect infestations that would have been missed by traditional inspection methods. I have been able verify potential heating and cooling loses as well as potential electrical problems that visually would have been missed. Do I or can I check everything No. You can only visually inspect approximately 33% of a structure, I believe my percentage is increased by utilizing IR, on finding potential problems. I do not bill IR as the major or miracle tool in my arsenal, it is another tool that I use, to do the best possible job for my clients.

As HI'S our inspections are non-invasive and shouldn't all tools available be utilized to assist in our processes. Everyone should look at all suspicious areas as "Trust but Verify". Trust your equipment but verify your findings. As we continue our knowledge training we should continue training on our equipment as well. We are only as good as the knowledge we have and our knowledge of the equipment we use.

Training is the key to being able to utilize our tools to their potential. We have to have open minds to accept new technology and be willing to get the proper training and experience. Only then will be able to be represent our field and the technology we use.

If anyone is interested in the training or equipment I currently use let me know.

Terry Wilson
    Goodlettsville, TN
    TN HI #243
    I also normally read the posts and do not respond. I agree with Terry. I am also a SIRI Certified Inspector, with the same training. I have 7 years experience utilizing the IR in conjunction with the home inspection. I am currently the only active HI in Alabama, utilizing IR in compliance with the existing patent laws.

You may also contact me if interested in the training or equipment utilized.

Give me 5% of your confidence and I will earn the other 95%.

Garry Trammell
    Trussville, Alabama
    AL HI-0971
    gtrammell.homesafe@gmail.com

Last edited by Garry Trammell; 10-18-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: incorrect email

[QUOTE Jerry Peck]
    In fact, by offering to contact off list almost indicates there is something to hide, otherwise provide the information on the board, for all to see, and for all to respond to, and to give all a chance to correct any potentially incorrect information.

If the information is legitimate, why not offer it on the board?
    [/QUOTE]
    Mr. Boyd
    I agree with Jerry,put it out on the table and this is the place to discuss lenghty topics... theres a lot of experience on this site with a lot of peoples observations of the products from around this great nation.

Put it out on the table...I do nothing but the disecting of facades layer upon layer and a lot of my work is Stucco and EIFS...Expert- no way...Experienced- yes and always learning.

Theres plenty of videos and web sites to learn the basics. I love the comments on the electronic tools of the trade, watch sticking that moisture meter probe in the stucco wall and hitting the metal lath!! you will think you hit gold! Practice safe probing, put a sleeve on it!

Joseph Ehrhardt
    Building Forensic Specialist LLC