Thread: Roof valley

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Roof valley

Okay, a couple possible issues. What does everyone think about the way the shingles are installed at the valleys of these dormers? Also, is this much roofing cement allowed? Additionally, take a look at how the shingles don't go all the way to the drip edge. As far as I know that too is incorrect.

Thanks for your input,

Ryan

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Roof valley

Well

The cut of the valley is wrong as you always have the larger/bigger/taller roof to have the cut shingles and the smaller lower roof having the shingles going under the taller larger roof. This is for the water running down the larger taller roof possibly pushing water up the shingles that are going under that smaller roofs shingles with a greater pressure. As far as the shingles on the shingles not covering the drip edge and not only that but cut back so far you are also asking for wind driven rain to push water under those shingles. They should have a minimum of a 1/4 to a 1/2 hang over on the drip edge or more depending on the manufacturers installation instructions.

Forget about any installation instructions. That is all common sense when you just think of running water.

As far as the vent detail.......There is no detail. Tar dries, cracks, lets water in. Just a poor job all around.

Ryan,

Can I have permission to use one or two of your pictures of that roof installation (with attribution and a link back to your site, if you have one) for an article on my web site about roof installation problems?

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

No reason to use roof cement on a roof other than to patch a small hole. Whenever you see it slathered on a roof or placed in a cut valley it can mean only one thing. The roof was leaking. It was most likely leaking because the cut valley was done wrong.

As for the gooped up vent stack boot and the flue pipe? I have no idea, but again it was most likely due to them trying to stop a leak. The flue pipe is missing it's storm collar. This keeps the water from running down the pipe.

I bet that they thought that they were the cause of the leaks when it was the valley. Who knows, but it is all wrong.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Scott, I think it is from the drip edge. Did you see how far back the shingles are cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    Scott, I think it is from the drip edge. Did you see how far back the shingles are cut?
    Well, if the drip edge was installed properly the poorly cut shingles really would not have that much of an impact. Up in your area I would expect to see an ice shield membrane along the rake edge in addition to felt paper under the drip edge.

The beautiful part of of job is that we just need to find what is wrong and tell them to have it properly corrected. You can chase water leaks for hours and never find the source.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

In addition to all the above, the ridge cap is a joke. Real roofers use 3-tab shingles or special capper shingles, these guys just cut pieces of the regular shingles, so the goofy pattern with flaps sticking up. A total hack install, no guarantees for that roof.