Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Bad chinking and weird metal flashing

Okay, do you think it is time to replace the chinking? Does anyone know the life expectancy of a standard chinking material? Also, can anyone tell me what the heck this piece of metal is doing. It surrounds three sides of the house at this level.

Thanks,

Ryan

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Bad chinking and weird metal flashing

That flashing is most likely at a second level floor or platform. It keeps water from seeping in at the floor. On some log homes the second level decking extends to the edge of the logs. The first floor is constructed, then the planks, plywood or whatever are then placed on top. Then the second floor is stacked on top of the that flooring.

You are most likely only seeing it on three sides because the fourth side is being supported on the interior like a loft or balcony.

As for chinking, it can last years. Weatherall 1010 Chinking is a fantastic product that has very long life in all types of weather conditions.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Scott, I am not that familiar with chinking. I don't see it that much but it looks like to me that it needs some work. What do you think? Also, is that flashing acceptable? Thanks for your help.

Ryan

Looks to me someone tried to use a backercord in the gaps of the chinking or very heavy caulk bead. Is this an actual log home or just one thats pretending with horizontal planking and chinking on a wood frame house?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    Scott, I am not that familiar with chinking. I don't see it that much but it looks like to me that it needs some work. What do you think? Also, is that flashing acceptable? Thanks for your help.

Ryan
    It is hard to tell from a few pictures. If you are not familiar with log homes (is that a real log home?), you might want to defer to person who is. Kurt Solomon up in your neck of the woods would be a good person to contact.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    (is that a real log home?)
    Looks like plank siding with the way it is splitting and other things in the photos.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

sglick Guest

Roughsawn siding with the bark left on the edges for a rustic look. The chinking did not fail but the bark has broken loose as it always will. Bark needs to be removed and home re-chinked.

Mark Schniers Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sglick View Post
    . . . needs to be removed and home re-chinked.
    Cha-Chink!

Homey Home Inspector says:

Yo, budget for replacement! Yo yo yo.