Default range hood venting

I know that many range hoods can be configured to either discharge inside the kitchen or vent to the exterior.

Are there any circumstances in which code requires that range hoods be vented to the exterior?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: range hood venting

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post

I know that many range hoods can be configured to either discharge inside the kitchen or vent to the exterior.

Are there any circumstances in which code requires that range hoods be vented to the exterior?
    Yes,

If The Manufactures Installation Instructions Require Venting to the Exterior.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

A.D. Miller Guest

Also if you have it over an indoor grill (open top broiler) - 1505.1.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post

Yeah, when my wife cooks.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Yeah, when my wife cooks.
    RH: Shame on you!

It would be preferable to vent to the exterior when a gas range is installed and I believe there are local regs. about that. Also some mfgs. will specify venting to the exterior for their products. When I find a kitchen where the range has been changed to gas from electric and the vent is the recirculating type I do recommend checking if it conforms to mfg. recomended installation instructions. I have seen where the clearance between the range top and the bottom of the vent dosen' provide enough room for a decent size pot, that is an other issue which need to be disclosed.

Tom
    ASHI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McKay View Post
    It would be preferable to vent to the exterior when a gas range is installed and I believe there are local regs. about that.
    Preferable, yes, code required, no - and there should be no "local regs." in Florida which change that - in other states, possibly as there are local codes which change lots of things.

Also some mfgs. will specify venting to the exterior for their products.
    Mainly high Btu "Professional" models.

I have seen where the clearance between the range top and the bottom of the vent dosen' provide enough room for a decent size pot, that is an other issue which need to be disclosed.
    Yeah!

I think most over-the-range microwave ovens are designed to be installed with 16" clearance below it to the range top.

Like others, I have seen some with only about 11" there.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You are likely correct about FL, John is from Maryland, don't know about their regs. I worked in NC for 10 years and know they did require gas appliances to be vented (exhausted) to the exterior unless they were ventless by design. In the case of a ventless fireplace gas log installation it was always recommended opening a window silghtly and a carbon monoxide detector was always recommended when any gas appliance was present. Best to check your State or local regs.

Tom
    ASHI Member