Bob Hunt Guest

Default Keyed locksets on bedroom doors

I inspected a house today and all of the bedrooms had exterior style keyed locksets instead of privacy sets on the entry doors to the bedrooms. The buyer's realtor is a former fire captain for a local town and he thought that they were not legal on bedrooms. I cannot find a citation in the IRC, but maybe I am not looking in the correct place.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Keyed locksets on bedroom doors

They would not be legal if blocking egress, but just to keep someone from entering a bedroom would not be a problem any more than a privacy lock.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Daniel Leung Guest

I think single cylinder deadbolt locks operate with a key from outside and a thumb level from inside are acceptable for fire exit.
    A double cylinder deadbolt lock (use a key from both outside and inside) can pose a fire safety hazard and not allowed in BC, Canada: "Principal entrance doors, exit doors and doors to suites, including exterior doors of dwelling units, and other doors in an access to exit shall be openable from the inside or in traveling to an exit without requiring keys, special devices or specialized knowledge of the door-opening mechanism." - BC Building Code 9.9.6.7.1)a)

Bob Hunt Guest

These were keyed from the hall and had a thumb lever inside. They could be opened from the inside without a key.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hunt View Post
    These were keyed from the hall and had a thumb lever inside. They could be opened from the inside without a key.
    Those would be okay per code, but I would have to wonder "why" they were installed to keep people out of the bedrooms.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I would have to wonder "why" they were installed to keep people out of the bedrooms.
    Two Words.
    In laws..

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

It's been known that some messed up people install them with the keyed side towards the room.

The goal is to lock persons in. When installed this way, it can raise a flag of child abuse and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Two Words.
    In laws..
    You mean to keep the in-laws ...
    ... out of their "stash"?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I told my step daughter how to install one because her roommate kept going into her room and stealing her clothes and any change she would have lying around.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

TEENAGERS! The tip off is the rolled up towels behind the door. keeps the pot smoke in.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Keyed locks on bedroom entry doors are ok (code complying) if on the hall side of the door, not sleeping room side. However, I wonder, do these folks trade homes with foreign or out of state folks during the holidays or travel season? (trading homes for short time frames is becoming quite the rage in these tough economic times)
    Then again if the grandparents are staying in there and grandpa strokes out and the door is locked.... hmmm. Well I guess the smell will eventually alert the children?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Leung View Post
    I think single cylinder deadbolt locks operate with a key from outside and a thumb level from inside are acceptable for fire exit.
    A double cylinder deadbolt lock (use a key from both outside and inside) can pose a fire safety hazard and not allowed in BC, Canada: "Principal entrance doors, exit doors and doors to suites, including exterior doors of dwelling units, and other doors in an access to exit shall be openable from the inside or in traveling to an exit without requiring keys, special devices or specialized knowledge of the door-opening mechanism." - BC Building Code 9.9.6.7.1)a)
    Hi Daniel,
    Strangely some of the best locks are keyed on both sides. How do you keep the crooks out with simple lock sets, irrespective of code and fire issues?

Raymond

Two guys named Smith & Wesson

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Jerry,

I didn't see their section in the building code!

A friend of mine growing up had lock sets on all their bedrooms.
    The reason ? Little brother and his friends would go through everyone's room.
    Problem solved. Dad had a set of keys for each room also.

As far as emergency entry ? A bedroom door is easy enough to kick in, messy and damaging but it works