Default Exterior gas grills

Is anyone familiar with the various manufacturer requirements (or even a code prohibition) for gas grill installation on structures attached to the house?
    I came across one under construction today (bankrupt builder) where the grill is built into an exterior bar located under the rear porch roof. Common sense tells me it is a fire hazard and not allowed, but thought I would tap the expertise here before calling it out for removal.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Default Re: Exterior gas grills

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Is anyone familiar with the various manufacturer requirements (or even a code prohibition) for gas grill installation on structures attached to the house?
    I came across one under construction today (bankrupt builder) where the grill is built into an exterior bar located under the rear porch roof. Common sense tells me it is a fire hazard and not allowed, but thought I would tap the expertise here before calling it out for removal.
    I see those often in higher end homes. Most of the time they will even have an outside fireplace right near them.

One town that I work in does require fire resistant material for a back splash if the grill is closer than 48" to the house. Outside of that, I have no idea if anything else is required.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Jim,

I don't see a grill.

I'd recommend they not consider placing a grill in that opening either with that overhead roof.

rick

Two of the four units I found on line have prohibitions for placing under combustible construction.

Wolfe
    Do not locate grill under overhead combustible
    surfaces.
    Kitchen aid
    The outdoor cooking gas appliance shall not be located
    under overhead unprotected combustible construction.
    But I see no definition of "unprotected" construction.

My recommendation will be to get the specific installation instructions for the unit that will be installed and follow that.
    I have had one portable grill go up in flames when spiders plugged the burner which then burned the flexible hose from the LP tank. Then things got really interesting!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

Two of the four units I found on line have prohibitions for placing under combustible construction.

Wolfe

Kitchen aid

But I see no definition of "unprotected" construction.

My recommendation will be to get the specific installation instructions for the unit that will be installed and follow that.
    I have had one portable grill go up in flames when spiders plugged the burner which then burned the flexible hose from the LP tank. Then things got really interesting!
    I see them all the time but the ceilings are usually 10 feet or better over the grilling area and all trim amd underside of the roof is hardi material. The other half of them that the ceilings are lower are set in a bumped out area beyond the overhang or a seperate grilling area away from the home altogether. I did check a couple of the units instructions and for the life of me I cannot remember which jobs they were or what the findings were. My beef about combustible materials is paint. Won't it ignite under certian conditions with high enough heat. Then of course there always is that shut off to shut it down.

Anyways I do not like them under any overhang for the sake that all that greasy smoke coats everything.

I used to see them all the time, no problem as long as the ceiling is up there (the ceilings I saw were 12 feet to 16 feet up).

I would be concerned about the combustible framing it is setting on and in.

The ones I saw were in concrete block construction with concrete slabs for the tops, with tile or granite over the concrete slabs.

Your statement of "My recommendation will be to get the specific installation instructions for the unit that will be installed and follow that." is absolutely correct ... I just think that the combustible material around it is going to be the larger problem.

Don't forget that the area requires venting for allow for leaking gas to be diluted and vented out.

I can also see that entire top structure rotting out from getting wet ... unless the grill is used often enough to heat it up and dry it out ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I can also see that entire top structure rotting out from getting wet ... unless the grill is used often enough to heat it up and dry it out ...
    Not sure what you are referring to, the interior framing of the counter is PT with stone and granite covering which is all under the protection of the roof. Rot is not much of a problem here since we tend to be a wee bit dryer than you Florida folks. It will dry out on a regular basis, like today 103 with an overnight low of 80+. But hey, we have a cold front coming tonight and the high only in the 90's for the next few days and maybe some rain.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Not sure what you are referring to, the interior framing of the counter is PT with stone and granite covering which is all under the protection of the roof.
    Jim,

Looks like a layer of plywood under the granite - is that PT too? Could be, they make PT plywood.

How about the plywood behind the stone veneer?

There is nothing to seal water from entering around those gas grills to keep it from getting into the interior, the framing, the plywood, etc.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jack Murdock Guest

Jim,
    The 2006 edition of NFPA 54 addresses gas grill installations on page 79 in section 10.20. Listed units per the manufacturers instructions and unlisted units require 36" of clearance at the sides and back 48" in the front and in no case can it be located under overhead combustible construction. In most of New England and NY gas grills are required to be 10 feet away from the house. That is why the kits that are sold to hook gas grills up permanently to a gas supply have a 10-12' hose and a thermal shut off built in.
    Jack

Thanks Jack, that's info I can use!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas