Thread: Qpex fittings

Carol de Winter Guest

Default Qpex fittings

Hi, I am a home owner. I hope this is OK for this forum. Our house was built in 07-08 and has pex piping with brass fittings. Already we have had two 'T' fittings deteriorate and break. I am now very concerned about the remaining fittings. The 'T' fitting that just broke was stamped " QPex D NSF-PW opo R (in a circle) CSA F877" . Thus far the damages have been relatively small but the potential for major damage is definately there. I have a lot of questions and would appreciate all the advice I can get.

1. Are just 'T' fittings a problem?

2. What can I wisely and safely have the fittings replaced with i.e. copper, plastic etc. or do all the plastic piping and fittings have to be replaced with copper?

3. My local plumber that I hired to originally do the work was not concerned when the first fitting gave way. At that time it was still under warranty. Now that the warranty period is expired and there is another of the same problem, should he not honour the work under warranty?

I really need some good advice, HELP!

Carol de Winter

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Qpex fittings

Quote Originally Posted by Carol de Winter View Post
    Hi, I am a home owner. I hope this is OK for this forum. Our house was built in 07-08 and has pex piping with brass fittings. Already we have had two 'T' fittings deteriorate and break. I am now very concerned about the remaining fittings. The 'T' fitting that just broke was stamped " QPex D NSF-PW opo R (in a circle) CSA F877" . Thus far the damages have been relatively small but the potential for major damage is definately there. I have a lot of questions and would appreciate all the advice I can get.

2. What can I wisely and safely have the fittings replaced with i.e. copper, plastic etc. or do all the plastic piping and fittings have to be replaced with copper?

3. My local plumber that I hired to originally do the work was not concerned when the first fitting gave way. At that time it was still under warranty. Now that the warranty period is expired and there is another of the same problem, should he not honour the work under warranty?

Carol de Winter
    Carol: Read this, then contact your attorney.

Zurn&reg Pex Class Action Informational Website

Carol,

In California, contractors are required to warranty homes for "significant" defects for 10 years. If this is due to defective fittings, it would be good to know what the law requires. Unfortunately, A.D. is probably correct and your next call should be to an attorney.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

James Skinner Guest

Question Re: Qpex fittings

I'm glad I stumbled onto this post. I've known of issues with pex but this is the first I've heard of regarding brass fittings. Until now I thought it was the only none problem area. Any ideas why the brass is failing?

Quote Originally Posted by Carol de Winter View Post

Carol de Winter
    The fittings are bad. Take a look at this thread, it has a picture of a Qpex fitting that is made in China.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...html#post92111

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

James Skinner Guest

Is this just another chinese manufactured issue. Poor quality control, ect.? or is it more widespread. I've been around a lot of PEX, the only issues I've seen were those caused by manufacturer's failings. I definitely don't like those flimsy copper fittings, but thought brass was OK, Now I'm hearing different.
    Is there any data on the frequency of the failure?

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Skinner View Post
    Is this just another chinese manufactured issue. Poor quality control, ect.? or is it more widespread. I've been around a lot of PEX, the only issues I've seen were those caused by manufacturer's failings. I definitely don't like those flimsy copper fittings, but thought brass was OK, Now I'm hearing different.
    Is there any data on the frequency of the failure?
    JS: As with all building materials, there are but two major concerns: manufacturers' defects and poor installation practices. And, as with many building materials, PEX has seen its share of both.

Take an inherently defective, product of whatever kind and slap it into a house using semi-skilled, didn't-pass-the-trade-licensing-test-until-the-fourth-time contractor, and you have the recipe for disaster.

The Tinker-Toy wrench jockeys on this forum who defend these products are probably of the above-named ilk.

Forrest Gump's mama was right about stupid.

James Skinner Guest

Your probably right. I'd still like to know if there is any supporting failure data regarding frequency. It just seems odd to read so much negative on a product with out supporting data and only on opinion.