Default Openings in chimney

Inspected a 1950's home with an unlined brick chimney for the fireplace. on both sides of the chimney in the attic, there are openings where the bricks are vertical and you can see the inside of the chimney through the openings by these bricks.

Does anyone have an idea why the openings are there> I have never seen this before.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral
    Robert Sole
    REM Inspections LLC
    www.REMinspections.com, Orlando, Oviedo

Talking Re: Openings in chimney

Sure, direct vent woodburning masonry fireplace! ;-)

Seriously Robert, no legal or useful purpose. Will have to be properly filled in with solid masonry units and mortar when the chimney gets relined.
    HTH,
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Default Re: Openings in chimney

Thanks for the reply, Bob.

It would seem to me that this would allow smoke or even sparks to enter the attic (which would be a hazard). Is it safe to use the fireplace like this?

Robert Sole
    REM Inspections LLC

Exclamation Ok to use as is?

Nooooooooo! Do NOT use it as is. Yes, it is a fire hazard. Understand, it is unsafe just from the fact you stated it is unlined. That is enough right there without deliberate holes in the chimney in the attic. Have a pro conduct a Level II inspection for guidance on options. FYI, flue liners have been required since 1927. As for why they did this, I do not know. Maybe some genius thought he was making a draft hood of sorts. Lord knows. Does look very deliberate. As I said repair gaps and reline per the building code.
    HTH,
    Bob

Thanks for the input. I agree and that is basically what I recommended. I just wanted to make sure I didn't over react to something that had a legitimate reason.

Robert Sole
    REM Inspections LLC

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Ok to use as is?

FYI, flue liners have been required since 1927.
    BH: Good info. Source?

Smile technical references

Aaron, just another example of the kind of great info. you get when you take Dale Feb's Certified Fireplace Inspector course.

He has a copy of the 1927 UBC and showed it to us. He has many other cool references, too. Click on the banner to talk with Dale or his wife Tena about the next class.
    Bob

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: technical references

just another example of the kind of great info. you get when you take Dale Feb's Certified Fireplace Inspector course.
    BH: IF I had the $2K for the course fee, and IF I had the free week it would require, and IF I had the cash for the travel half way across the country and the lodging once there, and IF . . . wishes were horses . . .

chuck altvater Guest

Perhaps the original owner used the attic as a smoke house?

Default Re: technical references

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    BH: IF I had the $2K for the course fee, and IF I had the free week it would require, and IF I had the cash for the travel half way across the country and the lodging once there, and IF . . . wishes were horses . . .
    Dale also teaches an abbreviated class in various cities.

It's one of the two best classes (the other was the old Peoples Gas Gas Safety class, no longer offered) I've even taken.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com