Thread: EIFS staining

Default EIFS staining

This EIFS on the front of this house was run about 4 inches under the soil in the garden. As can be seen in the pictures, there was some really nasty looking staining. Greenish on top and blackish on the bottom.

Does this definitely imply that water has gotten behind the EIFS, or could it just be external staining?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: EIFS staining

Could be external, but just the fact that it's underground is enough for me to advise a full EIFS invasive inspection. I don't want to have anything to do with that!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Crouse View Post
    This EIFS on the front of this house was run about 4 inches under the soil in the garden.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Could be external, but just the fact that it's underground is enough for me to advise a full EIFS invasive inspection. I don't want to have anything to do with that!
    I second that emotion!

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Don't worry ! The broker called and said it's no problem and that you should'nt put it in the report

EIFS ENDS IN FERTILIZED SPONGE

Thanks guys. Oh, did I mention this place had termite damage too? What a coincidence.

Brent, is there a gutter at all? It looks like runoff from the roof has carved a groove in the dirt along that wall. So that would lead to a splash stain and algae growing on the wall. Also a wet foundation.
    The good part - At least no one has pressure washed it yet.

A.D. Miller Guest

BC: If there are any studs remaining in the bottom two feet of the wall depicted I would be fairly surprised. I don't even like to see Portland cement stucco below grade. EIFS should not be used, for the most part, even above grade.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Brent, is there a gutter at all?
    John, nope, no gutters there. The house only had one gutter section that ran along the right side of the garage above the walkway to the front door.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    I don't even like to see Portland cement stucco below grade.
    Aaron,

If it is stucco on frame, the stucco IS NOT ALLOWED to continue down over the foundation and into grade - IT IS REQUIRED to end at least 6" above final grade for earth (sod, mulch, etc.) and 4" above hardscape (concrete patios, drives, walkways, etc.).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Aaron,

If it is stucco on frame, the stucco IS NOT ALLOWED to continue down over the foundation and into grade - IT IS REQUIRED to end at least 6" above final grade for earth (sod, mulch, etc.) and 4" above hardscape (concrete patios, drives, walkways, etc.).
    JP: There you go again preaching to the choir. And I can sing the stucco aria in twelve chords simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Crouse View Post
    Does this definitely imply that water has gotten behind the EIFS?
    No
    , or could it just be external staining?
    Yes, it could be. Further investigation may find no serious damage yet, but left as is, there would be. I would recommend an invasion of the wall cavity by a qualified individual.

JP: There you go again preaching to the choir. And I can sing the stucco aria in twelve chords simultaneously.
    Aaron,

I am aware of that, however, *what you said* was:

I don't even like to see Portland cement stucco below grade.
    Which, you must admit, *is not a strong statement against* stucco below grade.

You are lucky to be able to sing and then in twelve chords, simultaneously or not - wow ... me, I am only able to croak it out to the tune of "Hey there Little Red Riding Hood ... " by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,
    I remember them. Dang I'm starting to feel old.

Definately recommend an invasive inspection. Depending on the type of EIFS it may have had a weep screed installed with a drainage plane and then backfilled to cover bottom. If it does then moisture "could" travel down to weep screed, try to be absorbed into soil, backup and now have all the associated damage from water. Or just from soaked soil have severe internal damage.

Any damage or signs visible on the interior?

Jeff Moore AZ Cert#49250
    Level II Thermographer
    http:www.quantumhomeinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by J Moore View Post
    Any damage or signs visible on the interior?
    There was termite damage to a bedroom window sill immediately behind this wall, which makes you wonder what path they took to get there. In this same bedroom, there was termite damage to a baseboard, but that was on a side wall which has vinyl siding.

So the question is: how much termite/moisture damage has been done that can not be seen? Only way to find out is to start pulling drywall, I guess.