Nick J. Alati Guest

Default Self Closing Door from Garage to House

From the Garage to the House there is a 1 hour rating for door and it must be Self closing (OK we all know this)!

My Question:
    Somewhere I was reading that there is/was a requirement for 4 to 6", 45 Degrees and 90 Degree test, door should close and Latch at each of the 3 positions. Just finished a New Construction FHA Final inspection in a community and the Builders superintendent is challenging me on this! I'm an easy going guy, did not arguer with the guy, but can not find where I read this, I called the City Inspector and they said 45 Degree is all they look at, I don't have a copy of the RBC, I could be wrong, Any Ideas?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Self Closing Door from Garage to House

Quote Originally Posted by Nick J. Alati View Post
    From the Garage to the House there is a 1 hour rating for door and it must be Self closing (OK we all know this)!

My Question:
    Somewhere I was reading that there is/was a requirement for 4 to 6", 45 Degrees and 90 Degree test, door should close and Latch at each of the 3 positions. Just finished a New Construction FHA Final inspection in a community and the Builders superintendent is challenging me on this! I'm an easy going guy, did not arguer with the guy, but can not find where I read this, I called the City Inspector and they said 45 Degree is all they look at, I don't have a copy of the RBC, I could be wrong, Any Ideas?
    Nick,

I thought it was a 20 minute door or a 1 3/8" solid core door.

As for the three position test, I have not heard of it and it seems unlikely that a building department would choose to spend that much time on the closer test. In my area, I have only seen them pull the door open part-way and let it slam shut (or watch it remain open).

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Actually, it not only does not need to be a 1 hour rated door, it does not even need to be the 20 minute rated door Gunnar referred to.

It simply must be a 1-3/8" solid core wood door, or a 1-3/" foam core metal door OR a 20 minute rated door.

*IF* a 20 minute rated door is used, then, yes, that 20 minute rated door would need to be self-closing and self-latching, otherwise it would lose its 20 minute rating.

*HOWEVER* the OTHER doors ARE NOT REQUIRED to be self-closing and self-latching.

The above is regarding the IRC. *IF* Arizona has a different requirement, such as requiring a 20 minute rated door, then it must be self-closing and self-latching.

My Question:
    "Could I be wrong?"

Yes, you are wrong.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Nick J. Alati Guest

I do not have a copy of the IRC, what are the requirements for the self closing (Only) part of the door?

And yes, I did say that I was Probably wrong, OK Big time Wrong! :-(

I do not have a copy of the IRC, what are the requirements for the self closing (Only) part of the door?
    There are none.

That requirement would be part of the listing for the 20-minute rated door.

And yes, I did say that I was Probably wrong, OK Big time Wrong! :-(
    Not big time wrong, just 'Oops, okay, I misunderstood what I thought I knew.' Happens to us all.

Here is the IRC.
    - R309.1 Opening protection. Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.
    - R309.2 Separation required. The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to the garage side. Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than 5/8-inch (15.9 mm) Type X gypsum board or equivalent. Where the separation is a floor-ceiling assembly, the structure supporting the separation shall also be protected by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board or equivalent. Garages located less than 3 feet (914 mm) from a dwelling unit on the same lot shall be protected with not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to the interior side of exterior walls that are within this area. Openings in these walls shall be regulated by Section R309.1. This provision does not apply to garage walls that are perpendicular to the adjacent dwelling unit wall.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Nick J. Alati Guest

Well thank you Jerry, This is a great resource for Information and Venting!
    It's like a two for One thing!
    Nick