Default Wasco Skywindow flashing

I looked this up at the manufacturers site and got some info but couldn't totally verify since the model number didn't match. Nonetheless the product looks similar so I'm thinking that the installations are similar.

On these Wasco skylights, some of them had the rubber self flashing tucked under the shingles at the high side and others had it on top of the shingles.

I'm about to conclude that the rubber boot flashing should be under the shingles on the high side. Am I correct? If so, what will happen with the ones that have the flashing on top of the shingles at the high side?

Look at the pictures and also see page 6 of the PDF doc.

http://www.wascoskylights.com/reside...h_Drawings.pdf

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Wasco Skywindow flashing

John, I think the third pic is ok, we are only seeing the upper rib of the flashing, and there is hopefully a wider flashing all around the frame which is under the shingles. That's how it looks from the illustrations.
    Pic #2, the flashing does not go up under the shingles far enough to amount to squat. I wonder if it is missing the wide flange part?

A.D. Miller Guest

JD: Anytime I encounter a deck-mounted skylight I recommend that a curb be installed along with all of the step flashing, et al. that this entails. The existence of a functional self-flashing skylight is about as likely as that of the self-laid egg.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I'm about to conclude that the rubber boot flashing should be under the shingles on the high side. Am I correct? If so, what will happen with the ones that have the flashing on top of the shingles at the high side?

Look at the pictures and also see page 6 of the PDF doc.

http://www.wascoskylights.com/reside...h_Drawings.pdf
    John,

Go to drawing D2 on page 9/19.

That shows in greater detail what you are asking.

The main drawing shows the flashing leg under the shingles at the head. The smaller drawing, Detail D2A, shows the flashing leg over the shingles at the sides.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    John,

Go to drawing D2 on page 9/19.

That shows in greater detail what you are asking.

The main drawing shows the flashing leg under the shingles at the head. The smaller drawing, Detail D2A, shows the flashing leg over the shingles at the sides.

Yep, that's what led me to conclude that 2 of the 5 skylights on this roof have their head flashing wrong according to the manufacturers drawings.

Jim Murray Guest

John,
    I work for Wasco and hopefully can answer your questions. The pictures are of our E-Class skylight. Picture 2 is installed correctly. The topside should have the shingles inverted (similar to a starter) and they should be on top of the "L" shaped gasket. Then position the shingles normally directly over the inverted row.
    I have seen installs with the shingles positioned in the "L" shaped gasket (similar to picture #3) and have never leaked (there is still 6" wide flange under the shingles).
    If you would like, our rep or myself would be happy to meet with you.
    Wasco has been in the skylight business since 1935. We pride ourselfes in making skylights that do not leak. The E-class is Wasco's patented design and has been in the market since 1988. It needs no sealants and is far superior to stepflash units (we discontinued ours in 1999).
    Jim Murray

A.D. Miller Guest

We pride ourselfes in making skylights that do not leak.
    JM: That is a very strong statement. Any figures to support it?

Jim Murray Guest

A.D. Miller,
    There are no figures along the lines you might be thinking (leaks per thousand?).
    We have been making skylights since 1935 and have been on the cutting edge of skylight design. We manufacture everything from residential units to architectural structural units. To survive in the market manufacturing skylights we need to make sure they do not leak.
    Jim Murray

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Murray View Post
    A.D. Miller,
    There are no figures along the lines you might be thinking (leaks per thousand?).
    We have been making skylights since 1935 and have been on the cutting edge of skylight design. We manufacture everything from residential units to architectural structural units. To survive in the market manufacturing skylights we need to make sure they do not leak.
    Jim Murray
    JM: I was not questioning the veracity of your statement, only wondering if you had statistics. If you do not have in this respect, maybe you could share with us a comprehensive list of the improper installation issues you must be aware of. This would be very helpful to the HIs in the field.