Default "Sandwitched" Vapor Retarders In Attic Insulation

Chicago climate, unconditioned attic, two layers of batt FG insulation - both installed with the vapor retarder toward conditioned space - and 6"-8" inches of blown-in FG insulation added above the batt insulation.

Ductwork - but not furnace or air handler - is located in attic, no evidence of damage at ceilings below.

Of course I'll report it and recommend correction.

But I'm curious if has anyone has actually seen a problem as a result of this (as opposed to a reversed VR underfloor in crawl spaces, were I frequently see water damage as a result), and if so if you have a picture?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: "Sandwitched" Vapor Retarders In Attic Insulation

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Chicago climate, unconditioned attic, two layers of batt FG insulation - both installed with the vapor retarder toward conditioned space - and 6"-8" inches of blown-in FG insulation added above the batt insulation.

Ductwork - but not furnace or air handler - is located in attic, no evidence of damage at ceilings below.

Of course I'll report it and recommend correction.

But I'm curious if has anyone has actually seen a problem as a result of this (as opposed to a reversed VR underfloor in crawl spaces, were I frequently see water damage as a result), and if so if you have a picture?

Thanks.
    MT: I have seen this often as well as folks who install faced batts atop blown-in material. I suggest (1) removal and replacement with unfaced or (2) using a razor knive to make multiple slices in the facing.

Default Re: "Sandwitched" Vapor Retarders In Attic Insulation

Nope, never seen a problem as a result installing insulation the way you describe.