Jim B. Robinson Guest

Question Low Slope Roof material

While I was looking at a roof for my HI course, I glanced over at the neighbours, and saw what appears to be a very sloppily mopped asphalt coating - especially visible around the skylights, wall/roof flashing, and rake flashing. It's also visible along the rake of the upper roof. It appears the additional rake flashing is designed to hold back the asphalt.

Since BU roofs minus the gravel are not typical for residential, around here anyway, and the slope appears too great I don't think it's BU, not professionally installed anyways.

Could it be they mopped asphalt over the existing roof material? Though I don't see any telegraphing of shingles. It also looks like they didn't remove the skylight flashings before the operation.

There are other obvious areas of concern - the downspout allowing localized concentrated water onto the lower roof, the roof/wall flashings appears to be installed after the fact.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Jim

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Low Slope Roof material

Quote Originally Posted by Jim B. Robinson View Post
    While I was looking at a roof for my HI course, I glanced over at the neighbours, and saw what appears to be a very sloppily mopped asphalt coating - especially visible around the skylights, wall/roof flashing, and rake flashing. It's also visible along the rake of the upper roof. It appears the additional rake flashing is designed to hold back the asphalt.

Since BU roofs minus the gravel are not typical for residential, around here anyway, and the slope appears too great I don't think it's BU, not professionally installed anyways.

Could it be they mopped asphalt over the existing roof material? Though I don't see any telegraphing of shingles. It also looks like they didn't remove the skylight flashings before the operation.

There are other obvious areas of concern - the downspout allowing localized concentrated water onto the lower roof, the roof/wall flashings appears to be installed after the fact.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Jim
    JR: Looks like one big future (present?) leak.

Cary Seidner Guest

That could be asphalt. Steep sloped asphalts are available.

The drip edge in your first photo looks like there is asphalt drooling down the side. Could be the builder of the addition wanted to use built-up because of the slope.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

If there's any doubt in your mind, picture it with 2 feet of snow on it.