Default Sun Nuclear 1027

Who's using the 1027? Do you use their software to make a report? Can you post a sample report so I can see what it looks like? How do you like the 1027 overall?

Sorry about the barrage of questions. I'm really close to buying one of these.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Sun Nuclear 1027

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Who's using the 1027? Do you use their software to make a report? Can you post a sample report so I can see what it looks like? How do you like the 1027 overall?

Sorry about the barrage of questions. I'm really close to buying one of these.
    I use the 1027, I have 3 of them. Never have had any problems. I'm going to buy a 1028 at the next InspectionWorld (you get a better price most of the time when you buy them at a show) .

The software is very easy to use, but it really does not produce a report. It produces the hourly reading in a numeric chart and with a graph. It looks just like the printout that is produced with the printers that you can buy for the 1027 for on site printing.

Since I use 3D for my home inspections, I also use their radon report that comes with the program and I just copy the data from the 1027 report into it.

Folks really don't care what it looks like they just want to see that number below 4 pC/L, I think I could write it on a dinner napkin and they would be happy.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Troy Farmer Guest

I just picked up the rad 7 what a sweet machine.

Lawrence Transue Guest

Smile Re: Sun Nuclear 1027

I've been using the 1027s for about 9 years now. I have 8 of them. Great piece of equipment. Never any problems.

The only thing we "improved" was the power cord. The one that comes with the unit has a very heavy transformer. We buy power cords at wal-mart for about $8.00 The walmart cords are light and can be plugged in upside down.

Larry

I just use the RadaLink AirCat. They produce the report, send it to whomever I want, keep all the quality control and calibration records, worker exposure records, etc. Answer customer questions that I don't want to mess with.

It's worth the money to me for the hassle they take off my back.

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

John..

The 1027 was my first devise. Economical and easy to use.
    I use the software to download (obviously) but produce my own report format. I enter the data into a graphical form that looks good in the report.

Upon shopping for a second devise (wish I could justify the FEMTO-Tech at $4K+), I became more aware of the inferior (IMHO) Sensitivity and Measurement Accuracy (Linearity) of the Sun Nuclear (+/- 25% or 1 pCi/l). I even got the (over the phone) impression from our state radon program director that he personally frowned on the SN.

While my third devise will probably have built-in humidity and temp, rather than use of a data logger, I found the RadStar RS300 to be a good price/sensitivity compromise. The Sensitivity (higher is better) is 0.2 CPM vs. 0.04 for the Sun Nuclear (SN reports in CPH which you have to convert to CPM). The Accuracy is =/- 10% vs the SN 25%).

Dave

If the 1027's are calibrated anually like they should be, is their life span unlimited? If not, what is their normal lifespan?

What are issues with aging machines?

Are all 1027's equal or are there newer and older versions?

Absolutely calibrate every year.
    Good questions about longevity. Best posed to manufacturer.
    My 1027 is only 4 yrs old or so. I think the 1027 has an old version and newer version (not in last 5+ years I think).

dave koloskee Guest

Smile Re: Sun Nuclear 1027

i've been using the 1027's for 5 years now and own (6) of them. i haven't had any problems with them to date. i don't know what their life expectancy is. Ask Sun Nuclear that question.

in my market we have a few radon testers still using charcoal cannisters, so believe it or not my 1027's look modern in comparison. if i was just starting out, or looking to buy another CRM, i would strongly consider the Sun 1028 model.

lastly, if you do buy a 1027 or 1028, buy their thermal printer and forget about uploading the results to a computer. Printing it out on the spot is quick and also looks impressive to realtors & clients who aren't used to it.

dave

I now own 4 1027's. I got them from a retired inspector.

Three of them are responding exactly as they should but they are due for calibration. The fourth is in need of repair as it does not act as intended. That should be covered by the calibration and repair service through Sun Nuc.

I'll send that one in for repair first, then stagger the others every 2 months. All in all I'm very happy. Cables, power supplies and keys were included. No cases but I'll make up my own. I think I got a good deal on them.

I'll continue to use E-perms via local lab until I get these things calibrated. I did do a side by side test with one of the 1027's and E-Perms. I know they are not like devices but if all things are correct the results should not be far apart. I'm waiting on the lab results of the E-Perms now. While waiting for that, the three functioning CRM's are now running together in the same location. So far, they have not fluctuated by more than .3 pCi/l from each other. The average readings over the last 24 hrs have been 1.9 to 2.2 pCi/l.

I paid $600 for all. That included shipping. I happy.

That's a great deal John. I bought my first one from e bay for $325. Not a bargain adding in the calibration. I used them exclusively when I worked for US Inspect.

The E-Perm results were 1.9 pCi/l and the 1027 was 1.7pCi/l. Looking good.

I'm shipping two of the 1027's for calibraion today.

Tom King Guest

I also use the 1027. I have never had any issues with these units. I, like Neal above, used them when I was with US Inspect and still use them now.

James Duffin Guest

Does anyone have a 1027 for sale? I would like to have another one on- hand. If so please PM me with a price. Thanks!

Attached is a report generated by my Sun Nuclear 1029. The radon test lasted 4 days with data collected at one-hour intervals. The spike in radon near the middle of the measurement period coincides with a day that was much warmer than the other days. (The radon test was conducted in Colorado Springs in February.)

Be advised that this report by itself is not adequate. I write a paragraph or two telling the client how to interpret the results and what action - if any - is recommended.

One thing I would like to see Sun Nuke do with their software (and I have made this recommendation to them) is to allow the user to select a time period to use for the report generation rather than having to use the entire data set. For example, suppose I left my 1029 in a house for a week but the kids did not maintain closed-house conditions the first two days (e.g., they left several windows open and the radon concentrations for those hours reflect that) and a storm blew in the last two days. I might only want to use the data from days 4 and 5 for my average radon concentration because the data from that time period better represents the radon concentrations under normal conditions and when EPA protocols were followed.

Attached Files Attached Files
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

b e peltier Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Does anyone have a 1027 for sale? I would like to have another one on- hand. If so please PM me with a price. Thanks!
    1 @ 450.

&

1 @ 550.

thanks

i am in asheville area

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    If the 1027's are calibrated anually like they should be, is their life span unlimited? If not, what is their normal lifespan?

What are issues with aging machines?

Are all 1027's equal or are there newer and older versions?
    Have 10 Sun Nuclears (some over 10 years Old)

They keep plugging away
    Older models (low serial numbers)
    had less features (tilt) than the newere ones
    all perform equally and record same on cross comparaisons when conducted monthly.

would not buy any other......

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

for those that have an "opinion"
    that Sun Nuclear is an Inferior Methodology
    give Wayne Gemmill a call

Radon Certification Training | Granite Radiation Testing | Radon Consulting | Granite Radon Testing

Eric Williams Guest

John,

Not sure if anyone sent you a radon report using the Sun Nuclear 1027. The attached report has all the information that the State of Illinois requires so it is probably a little more than you will need. Illinois is very specific on what info must be in included. This report was performed recently on a house I tested that had an existing radon mitigation system.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Eric Williams; 06-04-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typos