Thread: Cricket

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Cricket

Will this type of flashing eliminate the need for a cricket. Width was 33 inches.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Cricket

Nope, anything over 30" needs one.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

RobertSmith Guest

Scott's operative word is "anything".....not just chimneys...I called out a 4ft long skylight perpendicular to the roof slope that I called out for a cricket ...gave the builder heart-burn on how to comply with the code.

Rob

Looks less that 30" wide.

As Scott said ... nope, nothing will eliminate the requirement or need for the cricket ... other than installing a cricket ... when more than 30" wide.

Also as stated in posts above - chimneys, walls, skylights, bell towers, you name it ... greater than 30" and a cricket is needed.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This cricket has to be on the roof of a Home Inspector or a Roofing Contractor that has a sense of humor.

Looks more like a grasshopper though, I think.

rick

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

A.D. Miller Guest

Also as stated in posts above . . . skylights, . . . you name it ... greater than 30" and a cricket is needed
    JP: Unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer?

Jim B. Robinson Guest

Although the Ontario Building Code states that a saddle/cricket is required to be installed on a chimney greater than 30" wide, it also states:

A "chimney" saddle is not required if flashing extends up the chimney to a height of at least 1/6 the width of the chimney, but not less than 6", and up the roof slope equal to the height of the said chimney flashing, but not less than 1.5 times the shingle exposure.

My neighbours chimney is 70" wide and without a cricket - see pic. The flashing is nailed and caulked - not let-in to the mortar joints. I didn't see this before they re-roofed this year, or I would have recommended one, though the price of installation might have detered them anyways.

Is US code similiar? IMO, the current code gives the contractor an easy-out to perform less work, and less than ideal installations.

Jim

mathew stouffer Guest

The chimney was 33 inches.

Exclamation Re: Cricket

I hope you called out that illegal shroud on the first chimneys shown.
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

mathew stouffer Guest

Bob I did not mention the shroud. 90 % of the homes around here that type of shroud.

Mark Aakjar Guest

Looks like he’s got a heavy angle going into the back of the chimney, I see that stucco wearing away very shortly…