A.D. Miller Guest

Default D/FW Inspectors, Which One?

I am a builder, so I would never buy a new home from another builder. Additionally, there is almost certainly no builder in my area who would live through the process of building a home for me. But, if I were to use one of these production builders, which do you think it would be?

Which would you choose from this list?

Localmarkets - Dallas Tx - Home Building Industry News and Archive Information - Builder Magazine

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: D/FW Inspectors, Which One?

If I had no choice but to pick from those ten

It would be the home builder that I "usually" find the least concerns and find the better finish work.

Now of course this could vary wildy from inspector to inspector but I would pick Grand for the reasons mentioned. That is not saying I do not find concerns it is just they are usually easier to deal with and more accomidating than the rest and do have the better (most of the time) finish out.

There are a couple others on there that are similar I guess. All builders can actually build a pretty decent home if push comes to shove. I am not talking minimum code builder and such but just in general building and finish and accomidating to the clients and me of course.

There are no more builders. They all became developers. Has anyone on this BB ever wondered what ever happened to all the crappy builders?
    Yep.... they became home inspectors.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

I give up, since you ruled out "none of the above"; where do you stand?
    I have dealt with many from the list and Grand was both one of the easiest to deal with and one of the worst. It all depends on the on-site superintendent. If the superintendent is someone with a clue that actually watches the work that the subs turn out, then there is hope; otherwise get set for the fight.
    There is one builder (can't recall the name) that has actually paid Dr. Joe L. of Building Science fame to advise them and put some better practices into their product that would make my top list if I was in the market.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I'd pick Khov as number 1. They bought out Goodman which built our home.

Highland overall builds a good home.
    Centex is more of a starter home seems like.
    Grand, I've found way more problems than I should.
    Pulte has made a turn around and is building a better home.
    DR Horton people hate me if that tells you anything.
    David Weekly not what it used to be.

JMHO

rick

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    There are no more builders. They all became developers. Has anyone on this BB ever wondered what ever happened to all the crappy builders?
    Yep.... they became home inspectors.
    JM: Careful now. Some, as myself, who bailed from the building industry, did it because they could no longer compete with the large production builders for clients.

You have to be very connected to find a toe hold in the upper end of the market. I came from humble beginnings and am not the type to go to church to get business - or for any other reason. OK, maybe I have inspected a few churches - but that's it.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JM: Careful now. Some, as myself, who bailed from the building industry, did it because they could no longer compete with the large production builders for clients.

You have to be very connected to find a toe hold in the upper end of the market. I came from humble beginnings and am not the type to go to church to get business - or for any other reason. OK, maybe I have inspected a few churches - but that's it.
    And, if any, what builder would you pick? Do you have a choice of one over another.

As far as the church thing it is pretty sad that I know several folks in different businesses that are involved with multiple churches to round up business. Oh well. Nothing personal, just business.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    And, if any, what builder would you pick? Do you have a choice of one over another.

As far as the church thing it is pretty sad that I know several folks in different businesses that are involved with multiple churches to round up business. Oh well. Nothing personal, just business.
    TM: From that list of the top ten (busiest), and it is a shabby group of characters to be sure, I would rate them in this order for overall performance. That means building ability (if you can even write builder and ability in the same sentence - or library), as well as service during and after the sale.

1. Weekley - great customer service, for the most part
    2. Hovnanian
    3. Highland
    4. Meritage
    5. Centex - simple houses, but a good business model
    6. DR Horton
    7. Ryland
    8. Pulte
    9. First Texas
    10. Grand - there's nothing Grand about them

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    TM: From that list of the top ten (busiest), and it is a shabby group of characters to be sure, I would rate them in this order for overall performance. That means building ability (if you can even write builder and ability in the same sentence - or library), as well as service during and after the sale.

1. Weekley - great customer service, for the most part
    2. Hovnanian
    3. Highland
    4. Meritage
    5. Centex - simple houses, but a good business model
    6. DR Horton
    7. Ryland
    8. Pulte
    9. First Texas
    10. Grand - there's nothing Grand about them
    Now that is what I was saying about Grand. I for one have run into many of their homes that have had little concerns with them and quality of finish out was not bad. Now I know that I could have inspected the one next door and found a lot but I can only comment on my overall of what I have inspected for different builders. Who knows...the rest of the Grand homes could have been falling down.

Weekley as you picked as one is side by side with Grand for those I have inspected.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Now that is what I was saying about Grand. I for one have run into many of their homes that have had little concerns with them and quality of finish out was not bad. Now I know that I could have inspected the one next door and found a lot but I can only comment on my overall of what I have inspected for different builders. Who knows...the rest of the Grand homes could have been falling down.

Weekley as you picked as one is side by side with Grand for those I have inspected.
    TM: Before Jerry Jones' tent fell down in Valley Ranch I was making a bet with myself regarding which would fall first, the tent or the nearby Grand homes.