Robert Olive Guest

Default Underground abandoned oil tank

This is an underground tank covered by concrete. What should I advise this client to do?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Underground abandoned oil tank

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Olive View Post
    This is an underground tank covered by concrete. What should I advise this client to do?
    I would tell them exactly what I found and support it with a picture. I would then tell them that the owner needs to provide proof that it is empty, has not contaminated the soil around it and have the owner to remove it. Some insurance providers will not cover homes if they have a UST!!

Actually I would tell them to ask their real estate agent to advise them on what they need to do in addition to what you might tell them. Let as many involved in the transaction know what you have found.

Your State might also have some requirements on reporting UST's.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Mark Aakjar Guest

Is there a fill near this area your picture only shows a vent? Are there flex copper lines running into the building?

Robert Olive Guest

Hi Mark,

Yes there is a fill located where it appears to be a city water cover. I was supprised to find it. The tank was located in an unaccessible area from the crawl.

Thanks,
    Robert

Old abandoned underground fuel tanks cost an arm & a leg to remove and then if you have contaminated soils it can get far worse.
    Most HI I know have disclaimers regarding such, but should you ever run into an old oil furnace that's been converted to gas, see a underground tank vent pipe pocking out of the ground or a fill pipe, disclose, disclaim and defer!

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Roger Hankey Guest

I am fortunate here in the Twin Cities to be acquainted with the owner of a tank removal firm. When I find one of these, I call him and he comes out at no charge and give a proposal and estimate to remove or properly abandone the tank. He is the knowledgeable expert and the client appreciates that I did my job to ID the tank and defer to the expert. The tank guy will even come out to check on suspected tanks.