Default Took almost 16 years to show up.

I was pulling up carpet in my master bedroom and closet (long long story about 2 dogs and a ground hog, and bedroom carpet) when I noticed a small dark stain on the sub floor behind the master bathroom sink.
    Checked under the sink and found nothing wrong.
    Went into the basement and saw a small dark spot where the copper pipe goes up thru the floor.
    So I cut out a section of drywall behind the sink. No visible leak found.
    I cut out the pipe to do a repair (used PEX and GaterGrips, which by the way is the way to go to do small repairs).
    When I pulled the old pipe down, I found a hole where a nail had pierced the pipe during construction (16 years ago).
    I guess the nail head finally rusted thru, and the bottom plate 2x4 was so tight against the copper pipe it kind of sealed the leak.
    Not one sign of a drip on the concrete floor under the pipe, and only a very small dark spot on the sub floor.
    Weird.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Took almost 16 years to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    ...long long story about 2 dogs and a ground hog, and bedroom carpet...
    Hey, that sounds pretty entertaining. Can't you give us the short version?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Jack That's such a common occurance. It happened to me years ago, laundry room, supply pipe, took 11 months for sr nail to rust.
    My son's master bathroom remodel, took 6 months for sr screw to rust through, etc, etc. etc. I'll bet everybody on this board has a sr nail or screw story.
    You where lucky to spot it when you did. It could have let go when you and the family where on vacation.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

BUt this one took 16 years.

OK, here goes. We have two dogs, a Boxer/Lab mix, and a German Short Haired Pointer mix. Our yard does have a fence, but we back up to woods, and there are gaps in the fence where things can get thru.

Critters of all sorts like to get under out garden shed and the dogs hunt them for fun. The pointer can run down a squirrel, but usually just messes with it and does not kill it.

Well, apparently, no obviously, they found, caught, killed and ate, a fairly good size animal that had unborn babies. They then ate some grass because it probably didn't settle well. Then they cam in the house, and both threw up on our bedroom carpet. We are talking about 5 or 6 pounds of fur, guts, blood, body parts, and three or four small unborn rodent type animals. Soaked thru the carpet and pad and smelled to high heaven.
    We had to cut the carpet out like a crime scene, and take them to the vet.

So I was pulling up the carpet to install hardwood floors in the bedroom and closet when I found the water pipe.

Did I mention this was the same afternoon that the condensate line in the basement heat pump backup up and overflowed onto the carpet in the workout room? We are talking gallons and gallons of water here.

Was not a happy day in the Feldmann household.

forgot the photos of the dogs

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    BUt this one took 16 years.

OK, here goes. We have two dogs, a Boxer/Lab mix, and a German Short Haired Pointer mix. Our yard does have a fence, but we back up to woods, and there are gaps in the fence where things can get thru.

Critters of all sorts like to get under out garden shed and the dogs hunt them for fun. The pointer can run down a squirrel, but usually just messes with it and does not kill it.

Well, apparently, no obviously, they found, caught, killed and ate, a fairly good size animal that had unborn babies. They then ate some grass because it probably didn't settle well. Then they cam in the house, and both threw up on our bedroom carpet. We are talking about 5 or 6 pounds of fur, guts, blood, body parts, and three or four small unborn rodent type animals. Soaked thru the carpet and pad and smelled to high heaven.
    We had to cut the carpet out like a crime scene, and take them to the vet.

So I was pulling up the carpet to install hardwood floors in the bedroom and closet when I found the water pipe.

Did I mention this was the same afternoon that the condensate line in the basement heat pump backup up and overflowed onto the carpet in the workout room? We are talking gallons and gallons of water here.

Was not a happy day in the Feldmann household.
    Our 14 yr old, crippled lab mix found a few baby bunnies in our back yard back in April and made a meal of them. They did not settle very well either, thank goodness we have tile floors in her part of the house! Dang raskley rabbits gave her the squirts for a week!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ron Bibler Guest

A 160 lbs English Mastiff, got into out back yard the other day and Our 3 year old 10lbs Yorkshire Terrier Chewy caught, killed and ate the dang Mastiff. Chewy is about as happy as he has ever been.

He has had to go out side a bit more today. phew.......

Best

Ron

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

You guys ever consider having canaries as pets? They eat very little and only seeds at that?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Jerry - Nope.....until now.