mathew stouffer Guest

Default Manufactured home with deck

This was one of the biggest sh%tholes I have set foot in. Have you seen deck construction like this before. As you can see they just installed it right on top of the I beams. There is no cross bracing to prevent rotation, other than that I was at a loss.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Re: Manufactured home with deck

This was waiting at the front door for me.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Like Jeff Foxworthy says.... "You just can't give a redneck money"

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    This was waiting at the front door for me.

That is by far the ugliest little girl I've ever seen.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by fritzkelly View Post
    Without seeing how, where and how far back the I-beams are anchored I don't see the problems you are talking about.
    The wooden joists could fall on their sides, that is what he's referring to. Chance of a full collapse, maybe not.
    As far as the girl, yeah, she is ugly.
    Check out the sguare pupils. that thing is from another planet!

James Vincent Guest

Was that Harry Houdini's House? I'm thinking some kind of levetation trick.

Chuck Weaver Guest

Without seeing how, where and how far back the I-beams are anchored I don't see the problems you are talking about.

I agree. Could these have been installed to possibly support a hot tub? That would really be scary.

Ray Norton Guest

Cross bracing (bridging) is not required for 2 x 12 joists or less. However, rim joists are required. The supportng code sections follow.

The steel beams also concern me. They are not protected with an approved corrosion resistant coating as required by the AISC. They also appear to be rusting.

We can't regulate ugly!

R502.7 Lateral restraint at supports.
    Joists shall be supported laterally at the ends by full-depth solid blocking not less than 2 inches (51 mm) nominal in thickness; or by attachment to a header, band, or rim joist, or to an adjoining stud; or shall be otherwise provided with lateral support to prevent rotation.

Exception:
    In Seismic Design Categories D1 and D2, lateral restraint shall also be provided at each intermediate support.

R502.7.1 Bridging.
    Joists exceeding a nominal 2 inches by 12 inches (51 mm by 305 mm) shall be supported laterally by solid blocking, diagonal bridging (wood or metal), or a continuous 1-inch-by-3-inch (25.4 mm by 76 mm) strip nailed across the bottom of joists perpendicular to joists at

intervals not exceeding 8 feet (2438 mm).