Thread: two mains?

Jerome W. Young Guest

Default two mains?

this 1994 home had two panels in garage which I assume are both mains. one was 200 amp and one was 100 amp. Is it possible the the mains came directly from the meter to each of these cabinets seperately? thereby allowing them to have combined neutrals and grounds?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: two mains?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    this 1994 home had two panels in garage which I assume are both mains.
    Jerome,

To clarify, you mean "are both mains" as in "are both main disconnects", right?

That would be correct.

Look in the bottom back of the two enclosures: the right enclosure toward the bottom left; and the left enclosure toward the bottom right. You will see where they both go through the wall, presumably to the meter outside, correct?

Is it possible the the mains came directly from the meter to each of these cabinets seperately? thereby allowing them to have combined neutrals and grounds?
    Possible and extremely likely. I used to see it all the time. BOTH are service equipment and thus BOTH would be required to have the neutral bonded to ground.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com