Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default electricial tape wrap around wire nuts

Hello, my question is what is your thought when you see electrical tape
    wrap wire nuts.

My question is do you think this an okay practice but not necessary?

I talk to E.C. around my area, so do this, some don't.

The other practice is wrapping electrical tape around switch and re-
    ceptacles. Again so do, and some don't. Each makes a strong case.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: electricial tape wrap around wire nuts

Tape around wires nuts screams DIY. To those with the ill conceived idea that tape will keep them on need to re-visit their wire nut installing practices.

Tape on devices in metal boxes is a personal preference. I normally use spec grade devices which tend to have the screws a bit recessed on the sides so even in the case of the device hitting the side of the box the screws still would not make contact.

IMO this is a non-issue since we should not be working live anyway so there should be no chance of a hot device hitting a metal box.

Personally I do not tape devices.

Last edited by Speedy Petey; 08-02-2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typo

Tape around wire nuts is not required nor necessary.

I am guilty of doing this in the past. Not anymore.

I would be weary of putting tape inside any type of electrical box.

I would ensure the right size wire nut is used and that the wires and nut are properly installed and secured.

A.D. Miller Guest

Personally I do not tape devices.
    SP: But, 3M wants you to.

If they are E.C. can they be DIY? If its not against code is it wrong?

That is the question?

Taping wire nuts not really necessary. However, I know a few Electricians that tape nut connections on dedicated circuits to signal to others (with brains) 'don't tap in here'.
    Not taping receps or switches is considered sub-par among E's I've worked with. Of course few of the union guys do it.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Not taping receps or switches is considered sub-par among E's I've worked with. Of course few of the union guys do it.
    This is due to your particular location.
    Chicago is pipe and wire country so most everything you guys use is metal.

Craig Ervin Guest

I don't tape the ones that are indoors, but will tape those on the outside of the house if I think it might get wet. Helps to keep moisture/ corrosion down. Now they have the silicone filled ones for wet locations, but this is not a wet location, more like an outlet behind some a bushes. People water will nilly so I will put some tape on those. I should used the wet location wire nuts but find tape in the bag more often Other places are like driveway gate controllers.

Default Re: electrical tape wrap around wire nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ervin View Post
    Now they have the silicone filled ones for wet locations, but this is not a wet location, more like an outlet behind some a bushes.
    Outside ... behind some bushes ... *is not* ... a "wet location"?

Please explain.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Craig Ervin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Outside ... behind some bushes ... *is not* ... a "wet location"?

Please explain.
    I guess that did not come out right. As outdoor outlets are a wet location. They are sealed to keep the water out. There is not code to use sealants for these locations. I guess I meant underground, as that is where you see those wire nuts. I don't like when builders or HO plant bushes up next to the foundation I think its a bad plan. FWIW My house has a 2' concrete or paver's and then the bushes or flowers. This way I can access and inspect the edge of the house for any issue. Plus a latter fits back there too! For a home inspector thats got to be tough digging through ivy and roses bushes looking for termites or other infestation. I should post a couple pic of what I mean, as each region is a bit different.

I've only used them for low voltage sprinklers. But I its not a bad idea to tape those connections on the outside as moisture seems to get in and corrod the connections. I've taken ones out that have tape and wire is clean on the inside, and others with no tape and the wire nut needed to be replaced and the wire trimmed back to good clean copper.

On a side note I see the city traffic light guys dip there connections into ABS glue.

Cobra Cook Guest

Thumbs up Re: electricial tape wrap around wire nuts

It is no problem to tape a wire nut, it tightens and seals the connection of the wires more secure. Never had one fail in thirty years, but the new type nuts are longer and do seem to seal better on their own now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Cook View Post
    It is no problem to tape a wire nut,
    100% agree.

..., it tightens and seals the connection of the wires more secure.
    100% disagree.
    If you need tape to make it "more" secure the connection was not good enough in the first place.
    And it seals nothing out. In fact it can keep moisture in once it is in there. The only thing that seals a wire nut is a sealing wire nut.

Never had one fail in <almost> thirty years,
    Neither have I, and I have never taped a one.

Never had one fail in thirty years,
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Neither have I, and I have never taped a one.
    I've had one fail in forty years plus - last year on my house.

I installed two lights over the sink and it started acting up, sometimes working sometimes not, traced it back to a wire nut where I tapped it off my attic lights near the garage wall - the garage door would open and its vibration would make it work and not work. When I looked at the junction it "looked" okay, but as I was putting it back into the box it sparked, which told me it was not tightened properly by the idiot electrician who installed it (me ).

I never taped them either, for the same reasons Peter noted, and that it was simply unnecessary.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Think about an arch at the connection point. A spark could shoot out. Tape on the nut would probably contain the spark and not even let it into the box.

I know, it's the box that is designed to contain the spark. However, taping the nut might prevent a fire if an open splice was existing. I'm sure you have found many junction boxes with missing covers right? In my opinion, taped nuts in a box without a cover are safer.

So, even if taping nuts is not required, it won't likely hurt but it may actually help.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Think about an arch at the connection point. A spark could shoot out. Tape on the nut would probably contain the spark and not even let it into the box.
    The tape would probably NOT contain the spark, besides, that is one of the purposes of the box.

I know, it's the box that is designed to contain the spark. However, taping the nut might prevent a fire if an open splice was existing.
    I doubt it.

In my opinion, taped nuts in a box without a cover are safer.
    Probably not safer.

So, even if taping nuts is not required, it won't likely hurt but it may actually help.
    The taping makes everything take up more room, and trying to fit bigger taped wire nut connections into the box could well actually have the reverse effect - it could loosen the junctions.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Typically the failure mode of a wire nut starts with a connection that isn't tightened enough. This eventually leads to the connection getting hot either because it is a high resistance connection or arcing is present and generates significant heat. At this point all tape does is add to the gooey mess of melted plastic and provide fuel if ignition temperatures are reached. Of course tape can also cause the wire nut to retain moisture that will cause a good splice to fail eventually given the right circumstances.

Then there's the guys that use cheap tape that leaves a gooey mess when you have to remove it.

I feel strongly enough about not taping wire nuts and devices I've sent a couple of guys down the road over the years who insisted on taping everything in spite of instructions to the contrary, but as most here are aware I'm a pretty crotchety old guy anyway.

Cobra Cook Guest

Cool Re: electricial tape wrap around wire nuts

If it will keep the electricity in without falling out which is under pressure, why won't it keep out moisture which is not?

If it will keep the electricity in without falling out which is under pressure, why won't it keep out moisture which is not?
    You would have to do the smoke test to answer that.

See if the connection burns up but the tape keeps the smoke in. If the tape keeps the smoke in, the smoke did not escape which means things still work.

It's when you let the smoke out that things stop working.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Cobra Cook Guest

I like that one

John S Guest

If this isn't a dead issue yet, it will be in a minute. But, i'd like to take a poke at it anyway. First of all I am a newbie to this forum, I found it because I've decided to go to school to learn how to become a building inspector. I'm 44 years old and didn't attend college, because at that time is wasn't necessary. To date, I've worked in the Specialty Trade of cutting Concrete for the last 23 years doing everything from using the equipment to fixing it (which is mostly 220vac to 480vac 3 ph & 400 - 1000 high cycle equipt.) Which on a daily basis, gets used and abused, vibrated, bounced and saturated with water, ( which the operator happens to be standing in.) When I worked on something,(knowing that I will be using it sooner or later) made absolutely sure that every connection was at tight and sealed as possible. And for the last 10 years as a company owner/ operator I still work on the equipment. I wire nut and tape sometimes silicone the box shut, do whatever it takes to ensure safety. Does it matter or make any difference? Only the fact that Me or anyone else is not dead from anything I worked on.

So why would I change my practices when I carry it over to my house, where my wife and kids sleep? I'll do whatever it takes to ensure safety. The extra tape that I use is on my dime, not anyone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    So why would I change my practices when I carry it over to my house, where my wife and kids sleep? I'll do whatever it takes to ensure safety. The extra tape that I use is on my dime, not anyone else's.
    Because, number one, you are not working with those same voltages, number two it is simply not needed, number three you may actually cause another problem, and number four if you feel the need to tape a wire nut on a 120 volt circuit it means you do not have confidence in your installation of that wire nut - if you did you would not bother to tape it.

Finally, with the tape, you may actually loosen an otherwise tight wire nut when taping it, or when trying to stuff the now much larger glob into the junction box, but, as you say, it is only your wife and your kids, so who else should care? Other than, of course, your guests and future occupants, but, who cares if you loosen the wire nut accidentally, as long as you think you are doing the right thing, actually doing the right thing does not matter.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Abrams Guest

Tape around wire nuts is a sign of a non professional installation. When I see this I know that a "Weekend Warrior" is at work. There is no reason for it at all.

Cobra Cook Guest

Angry Re: electricial tape wrap around wire nuts

how in the h--- is taping a wire nut in the same direction as you are tightening the nut its self going to loosen up the joint? Just because you do not do it, use tape, as do some other professionals does not make your way correct. I was taught in the US NAVY to tape the nuts also as an extra precaution and no other reason. More people die from 115 volts than any other voltage There is no need to glob on the tape but I guess that’s explains why some would be pissed when they open up a box and find out you globbed it full of tape, all you need to do is wrap a couple rounds of tape pulling it tight in the same direction as you would wrap a pipe fitting with Teflon tape. Do you know which direction that is?

CC,

As has been said several times in this post there is no need for tape to be used on a properly installed twist-on connector.

Do you think the reason that more people die from 120 volts is because that is the voltage that they are most commonly exposed to or have access to? How many people are exposed to 277/480 or above? Kind of like the stat that most accident happen within 25 miles of home. Since you spend most of your time there you would have a greater chance of the accident where you are, not where you are not. Go figure.

Corba Cook makes an interesting case, for those people whom think the
    the taping of a wire nut, it not a bad idea.

The U.S. NAVY.

Question: Does NEC prohibit this practice. I think they would if it such a
    bad thing to do.

The NEC is silent on the taping of twist-on connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert S. Mattison View Post
    Question: Does NEC prohibit this practice. I think they would if it such a bad thing to do.

There are many poor practices which are not prohibited by the NEC.

If you are looking for the NEC to be a cook book and tell you exactly what to do and what not to do, you are in for a rude awakening - the NEC ... like all codes ... is simply "minimum" allowed/required/prohibited practices, it does not tell you not to boil the water out of the pan, it only tells you not to burn through the bottom of the pan.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Its acceptable trade practice and no one has come up with any documentation against it fwiw.

Cobra,

Counter Clockwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Its acceptable trade practice and no one has come up with any documentation against it fwiw.
    Because there is no such documentation. No one has implied there was.

I like this quote:
    There are many poor practices which are not prohibited by the NEC.

John S Guest

Jerry, you completely misunderstood the point i was trying to get across. I meant if i spend the extra time and money it takes for a little tape, why should someone else complain. As i said, i would do whatever it takes to make sure my connections stay, even if the cable is accidentle yanked on while live. i also meant, if it doesn't violate any codes. Let it go! if the wire nut was a tight connection, well then, the tape just made it tighter. thats my story, and I'm sticking to it.
    As far as "well because it has tape on it, the guy must have his head up his ass" theory. two words come to mind. there are a lot of people out there who know what they are doing, some certified, some not. some were taught by watching others. some not. its not my place to judge you or anybody else as a complete *******, just because i didn't like the way somebody holds their fork & knife for example if there wasn't an ordinance against it in the first place. i think i beat the horse long enough.

if the wire nut was a tight connection, well then, the tape just made it tighter.
    Bottom line is you can certainly do it if you like. But....the above statement is 100&#37; incorrect. Tape does not, and will never, make a wire nut tighter or safer.

I have seen many wire nuts fail due to poor installation. Most just melt into a pool of molten plastic. Tape will just add to that pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Bottom line is you can certainly do it if you like. But....the above statement is 100% incorrect. Tape does not, and will never, make a wire nut tighter or safer.

I have seen many wire nuts fail due to poor installation. Most just melt into a pool of molten plastic. Tape will just add to that pool.

Peter,

Tape can also hide a "loose" wire nut, which will then rear its ugly head later on.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

As far as "well because it has tape on it, the guy must have his head up his ass" theory.
    John,

I believe you will find that was not my post.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Ah Yes

To Tape

Or Not To Tape

That Is The Question

Cobra Cook Guest

It depends on which way you are looking at what you are tightening, but the same direction of the threads is correct.

John S Guest

If you go back and read all the posts, this got way off the point into another direction, Nobody said that the tape was going to make the nut "tighter" than it was installed, as previously stated otherwise. and nobody said use so much tape it wouldn't fit into the box, as jerry stated it wouldn't. But i think we should all keep an open mind about things, nobody knows it all, and i hate when your trying to show someone how to work on something, and they think they know it all.

Hello, my question is what is your thought when you see electrical tape
    wrap wire nuts.

My question is do you think this an okay practice but not necessary?

The other practice is wrapping electrical tape around switch and re-
    ceptacles. Again so do, and some don't. Each makes a strong case.
    If you go back and read all the posts, this got way off the point into another direction, Nobody said that the tape was going to make the nut "tighter" than it was installed, as previously stated otherwise. and nobody said use so much tape it wouldn't fit into the box, as jerry stated it wouldn't. But i think we should all keep an open mind about things, nobody knows it all, and i hate when your trying to show someone how to work on something, and they think they know it all.
    John,

Go back and re-read the original post.

"Again so do, and some don't. Each makes a strong case."

That is PRECISELY what has been done by each side in the posts.

And you are complaining about it?

We are just following through on the original post.

Besides, if you do wrap much tape at all, you will not get it back in the box, and if you do not wrap much tape around it then the tape will not do much good.

Instead of trying to pick posts apart you need to read them and think about what is being discussed and said. Step out of your confined box and open your mind up.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John S Guest

Dearest Jerry, I had to walk away for a while after that very rude comment so i wouldn't tell you exactly what i said aloud. Open up your f***** mind and think about wtf you are saying for a f****** minute. I realize you are a litigator, so anything anyone says that doesn't go with what you believe is an a*******. well these people in this forum are not those people. I hate when people like you try to change their minds for them. again, if its not against code.LET IT GO. for christs sake, save it for the arbotration, these people in here all do what they feel is best, if you cannot provide documentation that this is a wrong practice, then you do not have a leg to stand on. and I invite anybody to the contrary. I am not out to get you, I am standing up for myself which is what i hope everybody in here will do for themselves. thanks.........................

John S.,

I see you are being your typical demanding and rude self as if others disagree with you ... you go off the deep end.

Be prepared to go off the deep end here and frequently as you may well find that not everyone agrees with you all the time, and when they point out something, if you go off the deep end all the time you will just look foolish all the time.

As I said, go back and read the original post, WE HAVE BEEN DOING JUST WHAT WAS POSTED.

IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT ... DO NOT READ IT.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John S Guest

I DID GO BACK AND READ ALL THE POSTS JERRY. YOU AS A LITIGATOR CANNOT AND WILLNOT ALLOW ANYBODY THEIR OWN OPINION. I CAN. I AM OPEN MINDED. IF I CAN'T BACKUP WHAT I SAY, I KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT. YOU ON THE OTHERHAND CANNOT. ITS WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING. STOP TREATING ME AND ANYONE ELSE HERE WHO VALUES THEIR OWN OPINION, LIKE A THIRD CLASS CITIZEN. I WAS TAUGHT YEARS AGO, WHEN YOU SPEAK TO AN AUDIENCE, NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU THINK YOU KNOW ON THE SUBJECT, THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE WHO KNOWS MORE THAN YOU. THINK ABOUT THAT STATEMENT JERRY.

John S.,

There you go again, off the deep end again.

We are allowed to have opinions. However, having an opinion does not make one correct.

You have an opinion, the original poster stated "The other practice is wrapping electrical tape around switch and receptacles. Again so do, and some don't. Each makes a strong case."

Thus what followed was each side making their case.

If you cannot handle opposing opinion and people stating their case, then you should not be reading those posts.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John S Guest

Getting back to the original question at hand, and whether or not Jerry or anyone else disagrees, there are no negative side effects to applying electrical tape in a logical manner on a wire nut or receptacle.

It was posted before by Cobra Cook, who testified that the US NAVY, a branch of the US GOVERNMENT, recognizes and employs using electircal tape ensuring further safety.

Since there is no documentation on enforcing this issue, litigation wise there is no further need to pursue any arguement further.

Since there is no documentation on enforcing this issue, litigation wise there is no further need to pursue any arguement further.
    So ... as long as YOU do not want it to keep going, the rest of us are being told to do the same?

(sigh)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John S Guest

I would not need to argue a point of which i am "allowed" to have an opinion. the whole intention of this forum is to ask questions, give answers, and relate opinions. i will not answer any question without factual doc. to back myself up. i certainly hope you dont have a problem with my opinion.

i certainly hope you dont have a problem with my opinion.

Nope.

Only when you bitch and moan about the posts of others and you thinking those others are trying to "control" others, and then you take it upon yourself to try to "control" what you do not like about the board and some posts and threads by telling us it is all done.

If you do not like some posts or threads, the answer is real simple ... do not read them.

Your problem above was like the pot calling the kettle black.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John S Guest

JERRY, ONCE AGAIN I HAVE TO EXPLAIN MYSELF TO YOU BECAUSE FOR SOME REASON YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE. I LIKE THIS FORUM, AND MANY OTHERS WHICH I TAKE PART IN. WHEN I READ THE FIRST QUESTION, I WANTED TO KNOW MORE, BECAUSE I ACTUALLY USED THE TAPE. OK. I WANTED TO LEARN MORE. ARE YOU HAPPY. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU COULD USE SOME LESSONS YOURSELF. STOP TRYING TO DICTATE ANY OPINION I MAY HAVE. I WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO STAND UP TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE WHO THINKS THEY CAN BULLY ME IN THIS FORUM. MY OPINION IS MINE JERRY, NOT YOURS TO DECIDE WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT DO. SORRY, YOU DO NOT HAVE A LEG TO STAND ON. YOU CANNOT PROVIDE PROOF IN THE FORM OF DOCUMENTATION THAT ANY VIOLATION EXISTS, IN ALL LOGICALNESS, YOU WOULD LOOSE IF YOU WERE STANDING IN A COURTROOM. END OF STORY.

John S.,

And again you do not disappoint.

You now cannot get YOUR way so you go off the deep end again.

(sigh ... will the man never learn?)

No one, other than you, is telling others what to do, and when you are told that others will not do what you want, and that others can do what they like, and if you do not like what others do that you do not need to read their posts ... you go off the deep end ranting about what you were complaining about others doing.

You really do need to learn to take a deep breath ... hold it ... hold it ... hold ... it ... now slowly release ... feel better now?

I can see that you really do not like for someone to point out that you are acting like a child, telling others not to do something, then getting mad when told that others are not listening to you and the others will do as they want.

You can count on one thing here for sure - that when YOU try to tell us what to do, and then YOU do not like it when we do otherwise, the *I* will be here to point that out to YOU.

If you INSIST ON GOING OFF THE DEEP END every time you do that and I point it out, you might as well stay down there off the deep end and make it as comfortable as you can, because you will surely be spending a lot of time off the deep end.

That will be your choice, should you chose to make that choice.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John S Guest

I WASN'T THE ONE GOING OFF THE "DEEP END" I WASN'T "BITCHING AND MOANING" ABOUT "THE POSTS OF OTHERS". THESE ARE ALL YOUR QUOTES. I AM A LOGICAL PERSON. EVERYTHING WORKS FOR A REASON. I NEVER TRIED TO "CONTROL" ANYBODY. AS I SAID. IF I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH A SUBJECT, I KNOW WHEN TO BE QUIET, YOU SEEM TO BE QUITE THE OPOSITE. AND IF YOU HAVE EVER SEEN A POLITICIAN IN ACTION, THEY WILL NEVER EVER ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, BUT SHIFT ALL THE BLAME TO WHOEVER THEY ARE SPEAKING TO. I'M FROM CHICAGO JERRY. WANT TO PLAY?? IF ANYBODY EVER REPRSENTED ME THE WAY YOU CONDUCT YOURSELF, I WOULD HAVE TO FIRE THEM. MAYBE A SWIFT KICK IN THE ASS, THEN FIRE THEM.
    JUST TO RECAP:

I LIKE THIS FORUM

I LISTEN TO OTHERS

SOMETIMES HAVE TO BE QUIET (OTHERS MAY KNOW MORE)

MUST BE CURTIOUS

I DO NOT TELL OTHERS WHAT TO DO

I DO NOT ACT LIKE A CHILD

WHAT ELSE JERRY, I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO PICK SOMETHING THAT YOU DO AND PIN IT ON ME, SO WHAT'S NEXT. I CAN KEEP GOING. WHEN IT COMES TO BULLIES LIKE YOU I HAVE ALL DAY.

John S.,

There you go again ... of the deep end.

I will keep leading to that deep end as long as you wish to keep going off it.

(sigh, I guess he will never learn)

I must say, though, that for the benefit of the other members of this forum it would be in everyone's best interest if you stopped going off the deep end.

(Here will come another post yelling, ranting, and raving about not going off the deep end, and he has to yell as he is so far off that deep end that no one can hear him otherwise.) (sigh)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I have a confession to make. I tape the wire nuts, and I also tape around the duplex receptacles and anything else that I think needs taping. I have had this condition since childhood. I kept my habit hidden for years, till I got out and met other electricians and home owners just like me! I felt reborn, I no longer need to take my tape to bed and tape myself to sleep!

Thanks everyone I really appreciate knowing their are others in the electrical closet - be brave - use tape!

Raymond Wand, thanks for coming out of the closet on this issue.
    Feel no shame, you are only human.

For all the other H.I. 3M LIST THEIR 33+ electrical tape as fire retardant,
    now the question, is the mastic on the back side fire retardant?

For all the other H.I. 3M LIST THEIR 33+ electrical tape as fire retardant,
    now the question, is the mastic on the back side fire retardant?
    Robert,

Fire retardant does not mean it does not melt into a bigger gooey mess.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry thanks for your comment, as I say food for thought.

No one wants a big gooey mess than me.

I am not quoting you....here.

The reason electrician use switch boxes and outlet boxes is to contain the
    possible of a fire inside one.

A fire need oxygen to burn. now I really going out on a limb here, but
    is the gooey mess doesn't burn, couldn't it aid in pulling out fire stated
    inside a electrical box.

I guess is what I am trying to say, why do make something that does.

Oh by the why, you know what really grind my gears, is spray foam inside
    electric boxes.

Last edited by Robert Mattison; 08-13-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling error

A fire need oxygen to burn. now I really going out on a limb here, but is the gooey mess doesn't burn, couldn't it aid in pulling out fire stated inside a electrical box.
    I doubt it would aid in that, it might help spread the fire though, by melting and dripping on other things.

Not sure if the smoldering fumes are healthy or not.

Yep, no spray foam is allowed in the boxes.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John S Guest

i will only use small case letters so i dont offend. raymond, i laughed at u coming out of the closet. i thought that was clever. i used tape i since the age of 11 or 12 i think playing around as a kid with 110v. just something i picked up on my own.

John S Guest

Robert, do you have any info on friction tape (i think its called) the marine electricians taught me to use this on high voltage equipment, they used it on winches ans such on tug boats in the marine indutry. just curious.

The reason electrician use switch boxes and outlet boxes is to contain the
    possible of a fire inside one.

Given that reasoning although not recommended to tape - if the material is listed UL94 or equivalent. The elecrtrical box or panel - Assuming all done to code. Are listed to contain and prevent the propagation of fire.

It should therefore not be a big liability. Although if not required why do it.?

John S.

Thinking about getting into high voltage splicing?

Friction Tape in mention in: "American Electrician Handbook"
    by: Tom Croft, Wilford I Summers & Frederic Hartwell.

I believe any electrician looking to improve there skills, should have a copy.

John S Guest

Robert, I own a concrete cutting Co. and alot of equipt. we have is high voltage. i've been working on this type of equipt. for about 23 years. i was just wondering if you had any knowledge on the friction tape. these connections, i was told by the marine electricians, (the guys wiring up winches and cranes, both ac & dc powered) to literally tape up connections up to where they barely fit into the box. my equipment runs very hot because its pushed to the limit by the operators trying to get the jobs finished, but nothing has ever melted inside. the friction tape will turn hard as a rock though. i have had to remove the friction tape a couple times over 23 years, and it wasn't pretty. but this might only have to happen once in a saws lifetime. i dont tape up connections in the shop or my house the same way, only about 2 to 2 1/2" of electrical tape around the nut, same direction as the threads. we also have to tape up connections for our trailer lights, the plugs in particular, trying to keep dirt and corrosion to keep the terminals clean is a challenge sometimes. so we tape the crap out of those items.

John S Guest

oh, and i forgot to mention, you have to be both electrician and mechanic in order to work on some of our equipt, because it might be a diesel driven military generator that puts out 110 & 220 or 480 3 phase. also have gas and diesel driven hydraulic power packs as well. then we have the electric driven motors we tie into house power on the job and it drives hydraulic tools. some guys can work on one side or the other, to work on both is a challenge. anyway, i had fun sharing.

John S.

Subject: Friction Tape

Friction tape is type of adhevise tape made from clothes impregnated with
    rubber base adhasive. Because thee adhesive is impregnated in the cloth,
    friction tape is sticke on both sides. The rubber base adhesive makes it an electrical insulator and provides a degree or protection from liquids and
    corrosion.

I usually found inside old electrical boxes. Also wrap around the blade of
    hockey stick to improve puck control. And wrap around the handles of
    softball or baseball bat to give one a better grip.

But PVC electrical tape has replace it in most applications today.

Some electrician's buy rubber tape, and then cover that with friction tape.

I have found that the friction tape when subject to a high temperatures,
    tends to turn rock hard inside old electrial boxes I have inspected.

I would google 3M a world leader in the MFG. of tape. There you should
    find the right products, for the any job. You call also contact the company and talk to their product specialist.

Sorry, But I cannot provide you with the answer wanted, for legal reasons.

Last edited by Robert Mattison; 08-17-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Tim Podbreger Guest

Question Re: electricial tape wrap around wire nuts

My issue with the taped wire nuts is. DIYs Think more tape is a good thing. Then the question?? Is there a properly installed wire nut under all that unnessary tape. They do have colors to let you know the wire size they were made to use on.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Podbreger View Post
    My issue with the taped wire nuts is. DIYs Think more tape is a good thing. Then the question?? Is there a properly installed wire nut under all that unnessary tape. They do have colors to let you know the wire size they were made to use on.
    TP: You mean, of course, the wire nuts and not the tape, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Podbreger View Post
    They do have colors to let you know the wire size they were made to use on.
    Yes and no ... they have different colors which indicate different sizes, but I would not start basing wire sizes or combinations on color of the wire nut as each wire nut color has s-o-o-o many wire combinations as to make that impractical.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Yes and no ... they have different colors which indicate different sizes, but I would not start basing wire sizes or combinations on color of the wire nut as each wire nut color has s-o-o-o many wire combinations as to make that impractical.
    JP: So then, is there any truth to the notion that electricians communicate with aliens through combinations of wire nut and tape colors at certain connections?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast