mathew stouffer Guest

Default Patched metal roof

Forgot to include this in my last post. Two vent stacks and a furnace vent termination were removed. This is how they patched the metal roof??????

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Patched metal roof

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Forgot to include this in my last post. Two vent stacks and a furnace vent termination were removed. This is how they patched the metal roof??????

The ?????? are for WTF were they thinking?

Yeah, as you know ... dat ain't rite!

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Jerry have you been texting. I am surprised you know WTF. What is an approved patch method.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Jerry have you been texting. I am surprised you know WTF.
    Nope, saw it here. I've since used WTH (what to heck) several times, but that one deemed fitting for WTF.

What is an approved patch method.
    Not that.

I'm not sure, the only thing I can think of which would be approved by the manufacturer would likely be replacing the panel.

They MIGHT has some type of patch where a piece of NEW roofing could be slide up under a cut off piece of existing roofing and, with the proper overlap above and below, then have that new piece secured in place, but that would be basically replacing a section of a panel, not "patching over" a hole.

Although I doubt it, they also might have a piece made like the plumbing vent flashings which is sealed and screwed down like those flashings.

They may also have a closed top plumbing vent flashing which is installed and simply left closed. Or they might suggest leaving the plumbing vent flashing in place and leaving a short section of PVC, capped at both ends, in the flashing.

Your photos show some hacked out sheet metal screwed down on some type of sealant, maybe butyl rubber tape? It definitely looks to be a hack job.

Maybe we have a sheet metal roofing person here who knows an approved way to do that?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Are those rivets or screws?

I got a patch like that on my boat, and it leaks through the rivet holes.

mathew stouffer Guest

They are screws and each screw has a type of rubber gasket or sealant around it. It has not leaked to this point, but I could not get a close look at it in the attic, there were bats everywhere