Thread: Front entry

william siegel Guest

Default Front entry

This is the front entry to a 1962 home. It appears that they built up the front porch to the stamped concrete. In a driving rain there would be nothing to stop the rain form getting under the front door (save for a good seal)

1) is there a code for this
    2) other than a mention, would you add anything else?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Front entry

Bill,

That may have been done to help with accessibility for a handicapped person at one time.

Notice the door swings out, that is good as it means it has a bumper threshold, about all which can be done is to make sure it is sealed and to keep it sealed.

Make sure and note it in your report and also tell your client about it, and, if there is carpet or wood flooring inside ... make sure to tell them it can all be damaged quite readily. If there is tile inside (probably is) then the tile will act like a dam and help keep leakage out.

I always made a big show about it, then advised my clients that, unless they remove the front porch and make it lower there is not much they can do other than to keep it sealed.

Most likely it will be that way in 5 years when they go to sell the house and you can write it up all over again.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

william siegel Guest

Thanks

You could suggest an awning or similar roof over the door. Not much help where you are, I hear it rains sideways a lot.

Who knows if there's an interior threshold? All you can really do is recommend they have one installed if not. BTW, it may be a good idea if you checked those front entry door hinges to see if they where the exterior type. (Burglar resistant)

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

william siegel Guest

Jerry M

Your killing me. But great thoughts

Bill