Default Accordian trap drain??

I have been seeing alot of this type of drain lately. I know that the big box stores sell these, but what part of the plumbing code allows this type of drain piece to be installed. Seem to me that the nature of the accordian will trap soap scum or kitchen food waste and promote a clog. Your Thoughts!!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Lawrence Transue Guest

Default Re: Accordian trap drain??

No "plumber" would ever install that. I call that out as poor workmanship and strongly suggest that it be replaced.

Check out this one from yesterday. Oops forgot something here...

No Trap.. pipe goes straight into floor

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Lawrence Transue; 08-05-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: improvement

No part of the plumbing code allows accordian pipe.

Must be smooth wall. There are several other posts regarding non-smooth wall pipe.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Stewardson View Post
    I have been seeing alot of this type of drain lately. I know that the big box stores sell these, but what part of the plumbing code allows this type of drain piece to be installed. Seem to me that the nature of the accordian will trap soap scum or kitchen food waste and promote a clog. Your Thoughts!!
    They are not permitted or approved for use, just like cloth duct tape is not allowed to be used on ducting in a home. This does not mean you can't buy it.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: Accordion trap drain??

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Stewardson View Post
    but what part of the plumbing code allows this type of drain piece to be installed.

NO part of the code allows them.

That is one of the examples of products which are allowed to be manufactured, allowed to be sold, allowed to be bought, then allowed to sit on your work bench because you ARE NOT ALLOWED to install them.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com