Thread: PVC to ABS

Default PVC to ABS

I see PVC glued to ABS in drain lines from time to time. I have yet to see a junction leaking.

When you see this, do you call it out even if it's fully functional and absent of leaks?

Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: PVC to ABS

No not if it is sound and the proper glue used.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    I see PVC glued to ABS in drain lines from time to time. I have yet to see a junction leaking.

When you see this, do you call it out even if it's fully functional and absent of leaks?
    JD: I have seen both the Oatey green transition cement and no-hub transitions for PVC to ABS connections, but most of the AHJs in my area will disallow both.

Michael Larson Guest

A single transition fitting between different types of systems and the correct solvent is what the AHJs accept here.

There is no correct solvent for joining the two different materials together.The solvent for PVC is to aggressive for ABS and the ABS stuff does not solvent weld the PVC properly. There are solvents that say they will join the two differnt pasltics togather but they do not meet the ASTM standards.

A proper transition is a a PVC to no-hub transition fitting, a no-hub coupling then a ABS no-hub transition fitting. Or You could use PVC male/female fitting threaded into a ABS male/female fittings.

Acrylonitrite Butadiene Styrene (ABS) Pipe
    ASTM D 2661-1997A, ASTM F 628-1997, CSA B181.1 in B1800-1999

Joints
    ASTM D 2235-1996,a CSA B602-1999

Solvent Cement
    ASTM D 2235-1996a, CSA B181.1 in B1800-1999

Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Pipe and Fittings
    ASTM D 2665-1996, ASTM D 2949-1987, CSA B137.2-1999 in B137, CSA B181.2-1999 in B137

Solvent Cement
    ASTM D 2564-1996

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hasil View Post

Joints

Solvent Cement

ASTM D 2665-1996, ASTM D 2949-1987, CSA B137.2-1999 in B137, CSA B181.2-1999 in B137

Solvent Cement
    ASTM D 2564-1996
    ASTM D3138 -04 Standard Specification for Solvent Cements for Transition Joints Between...

Michael Larson Guest

Last edited by Michael Larson; 07-26-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Or You could use PVC male/female fitting threaded into a ABS male/female fittings.

It is my understanding that those are "adapters" for "adapting" from slip to threaded and not "transition" fittings to "transition" from one material to another.

We had a thread on this quite some time ago, maybe a year ago or so, with links to "transition" fittings.

This was not the link, I thought I had saved the other link but cannot find it, however this shows the "transition" fittings: http://www.spears.com/prod_brochures...7_0208_web.pdf

You could transition from PVC to metal to ABS (or whatever transition fittings you used allowed for).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Michael, do you know if all cements meeting D3138 are GREEN?
    VH: Oatey's is green. I think at least one other is blue, but do not remember the brand.

Michael Larson Guest

IPS Weld-On is also green. I don't know about the rest.

Joints

Solvent Cement

Solvent Cement
    ASTM D 2564-1996
    I am sorry the above is from the Illinois code book as approved types of pipe , fittings and solvent. I should resist posting while having a migraine.So anyways, the ones you list do have an ASTM standard but is not listed in the Illinois plumbing code book as approved solvents. You will have to check to see if they are allowed in your local area as we all know all plumbing codes vary from state to state.

Back to John's question. I've had a PVC pipe glued to ABS under my shower for about 16 years, and it hasn't leaked yet. I also haven't seen any leaking at other houses (yet). However, I haven't inspected thousands of houses either.

I usually tell them that the two type of pipe are not meant to be glued together, etc. I doubt anyone ever does much else with the information.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

A.D. Miller Guest

I doubt anyone ever does much else with the information.
    JR: As is the case with much of what we report, I fear.

Randy Yates Guest

So even if there is a solvent available to use that will glue the two types of pipe together, how can you tell from a visual perspective that it is?

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Yates View Post
    So even if there is a solvent available to use that will glue the two types of pipe together, how can you tell from a visual perspective that it is?
    RY: Though at least some of them are green in color, you cannot for certain know that the proper material was used.

Randy Yates Guest

Thanks A.D. for the reply!

dave koloskee Guest

Wink Re: PVC to ABS

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JR: As is the case with much of what we report, I fear.
    i almost don't want to know how many clients actually read their report. i'm fairly sure the answer would be depressing.

re; PVC to ABS, i also call it out as non-standard installation if connectors are not present, and mention if active leaking was/was not present.

Quote Originally Posted by dave koloskee View Post
    i almost don't want to know how many clients actually read their report. i'm fairly sure the answer would be depressing. ..
    I know what you mean. They get a credit at closing for all the life-threatening hazards you have disclosed to them, and then they spend the money on kitchen cabinets.
    It's like when you have a fender-bender that's the other guy's fault. You get a check from the insurance company. You stand there and look at the check, and look at the dent, and look at the check, and say to yourself, Heck, I can live with that dent! And you cash the check and get a flat screen tv.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com