Thread: Shingle Type?

Greg Frazier Guest

Default Shingle Type?

I'm thinking possibly asbestos containing material? Old house with shingles worn thin.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Shingle Type?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Frazier View Post
    I'm thinking possibly asbestos containing material? Old house with shingles worn thin.
    I agree.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Could be...I would call it out as possible and recommend it be tested. If it is, I would certainly consider that roof to be "friable". Wouldn't want to be the next door neighbor sleeping with his window open during a nice breezy night

Michael Garrity Guest

It probably is and it looks like the side walls are the same material.Lots of houses in the northeast with sidewall shingles and a good few with roof shingles all made from asbestos.Any harm if there is no dust particles?It is a solid material.Does the roof leak?Can you call out a roof if it does not leak?What year was the house build?

"Any harm if there is no dust particles?It is a solid material."

Not solid any more...crumbling edges - exposed fibers, and certainly harm when you go to remove the shingles...environmental and to your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Garrity View Post
    ...Can you call out a roof if it does not leak?...
    You bet.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com