mathew stouffer Guest

Default Log Cabin Construction

I don't see many log cabins, so I was curious when I came accross this today. Any thoughts. Pluse is everyone staying busy?

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Log Cabin Construction

House much be what, 15, 16 years old?

Bad case a acne.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

10 years old. Whatch you talkin bout jerry

Ron Bibler Guest

A few thing about log home. Checking/spliting of the logs. this opens and exposes the center of the logs. this should be inspected by a log home expert in your are. along with all the pitch. did you look rear hard at the joints for fungus damage. did you look real hard for small holes for wood boring beetles. they are there. you bet. never inspected a log home yet that did not have beetles.

Do some looking on the nte about inspecting log homes. and call for a contractor and pest inspector.

Best

Ron

That rim board should have a drip cap on the top of it where it meets the logs and some type of covering to prevent insect entry and water/air entry and deterioration of the board.. There should also be flashing at the bottom of the rim board where it meets the top of the foundation - that is quite a lip and will be prone to water damage.

The cracks are called checking and are a result of the log drying out from the outside in, and are typical but should be sealed to prevent water entry over the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    10 years old. Whatch you talkin bout jerry

Those teenager pimples on the foundation wall.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

Those teenager pimples on the foundation wall.
    Those are LEE Press ON (accent ) Plastic Rocks.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks for the info. I gave the guy a bottle of proactive. Plus, no evidence of bettles, looked closely.

Ron Bibler Guest

Go look one moe time they are there. ( . ) This is about the size of the holes Mat.

Best

Ron

mathew stouffer Guest

There treated the exterior with a thick varnish type of application, so they may have concealed the holes.

Ron Bibler Guest

Mat in my 30 years i have never had a log home that did not have beetles. they may be very hard to find but would bet they are there. The lacquer or varnish they do not like because they get there mandibles stuck in it. they will work the split areas of the logs and the ends and even the interior.

The big cost on the these log is keeping the splits filled and the ends of the logs lacquer or varnish. The fungus infection will start at the ends on in the joints. It can take some time to go over every log and end and joint. I cant tell how many time I have stuck a screwdriver into a section of a log the look like it had no problems or any signs of fungus infection or damage.

Best

Ron

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks Ron

Randy Yates Guest

I'm wondering why the rim is even exposed? Shouldn't the logs (exterior covering) been installed to cover over the rim joists? Not only from the astetics but what about heat loss, vapor barriers, etc.?

What caught my eye is the height of the lower windows above grade. A bit low don't you think? Would not take much to get moisture intrusion there, especially if there is snow.
    The grading near them did not look to be sufficient to divert rainwater away.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

mathew stouffer Guest

Good point with the widow. The buyer contracted me to go out during the winter and remove snow.

sglick Guest

Checking of logs is not an issue unless the checking is on the top side exposed to the elements. Caulking or chinking should not be done on checks smaller than about an 1/8 inch as they can not be completely sealed (water will still get in but will not be able to evaporate back out).

As far as beetles go they only live in green timber. when the timber dries out the beetles move on or die. So beetles may be a short term nuisance but not really an issue.

As a note I have been in the log home business for 10 plus years and am also trained by SASHCO in log home care.

Michael Schirmer Guest

The skirt log is missing. Exposed band joist and sub flooring edges noted. A skirt log is log siding meant to cover the platform edges. Some log home companies use an apron board too, but takes away from the look of the logs.

mathew stouffer Guest

Is the skirt log simply cosmetic?

Ron Bibler Guest

[quote=sglick;95300] As far as beetles go they only live in green timber. when the timber dries out the beetles move on or die. So beetles may be a short term nuisance but not really an issue. quote]

You should do more home work on wood boring beetles.

This is just some information on a few types of beetles.

Anobiidae: Anobiids infest the sapwood of both hardwoods and softwoods, although at times they will colonize heartwood as well. They are frequently found in older wood (10 or more years of age) and in high moisture areas. Some anobiids prefer to feed on wood infected with rot fungi. The frass produced by anobiids is often found in clumps or pellets and has a distinctively gritty or coarse feel. These beetles are infrequently reported in Minnesota, but cause extensive damage in the western and southeastern United States. In these areas, anobiids normally enter homes from outside, rather than being built in or brought in. In any region of the United States, anobiids may be brought into structures with imported antique furniture. One species of note in Minnesota is Ptilinus ruficornis, which attacks logs of aspen (Populus spp.) in rustic cabins.
    Bostrichidae: Bostrichids are often found in both hardwoods and softwoods, though hardwoods are preferred. Bostrichids frequently attack woods of tropical origin such as lauan and mahogany. The frass of these beetles is a combination of fine powder, pellets, and larger wood chips, and is frequently cemented into the feeding galleries made by the larvae. most reports of bostrichids result from furniture imported from Asian countries.

Best

Ron

Michael Schirmer Guest

Is the skirt log simply cosmetic?
    No, it's log siding to match the full logs that acts as an apron board to cover the platform structure.

A.D. Miller Guest

[quote=Ron Bibler;95383]
    Quote Originally Posted by sglick View Post
    As far as beetles go they only live in green timber. when the timber dries out the beetles move on or die. So beetles may be a short term nuisance but not really an issue. quote]

You should do more home work on wood boring beetles.

This is just some information on a few types of beetles.

Anobiidae: Anobiids infest the sapwood of both hardwoods and softwoods, although at times they will colonize heartwood as well. They are frequently found in older wood (10 or more years of age) and in high moisture areas. Some anobiids prefer to feed on wood infected with rot fungi. The frass produced by anobiids is often found in clumps or pellets and has a distinctively gritty or coarse feel. These beetles are infrequently reported in Minnesota, but cause extensive damage in the western and southeastern United States. In these areas, anobiids normally enter homes from outside, rather than being built in or brought in. In any region of the United States, anobiids may be brought into structures with imported antique furniture. One species of note in Minnesota is Ptilinus ruficornis, which attacks logs of aspen (Populus spp.) in rustic cabins.
    Bostrichidae: Bostrichids are often found in both hardwoods and softwoods, though hardwoods are preferred. Bostrichids frequently attack woods of tropical origin such as lauan and mahogany. The frass of these beetles is a combination of fine powder, pellets, and larger wood chips, and is frequently cemented into the feeding galleries made by the larvae. most reports of bostrichids result from furniture imported from Asian countries.

Best

Ron
    RB: He should also do more homework on the logs themselves. Many companies produce their logs from standing dead trees Which are rife with both fungi and beetles.

A.D. Miller Guest

From the SASHCO site:

I have bugs in my new home. What do I do?

Answer:
    Generally, insects showing up in a newly constructed and finished log home means that the logs were infested before they were set on the foundation or became infested during the construction process. Normally, if logs are heavily treated with borate wood preservatives by the manufacturer, then the infestations are very unlikely to occur. When possible, use logs that have been heavily treated – either dip-treated or pressure-treated – with borate wood preservatives, such as Sashco’s Penetreat or TimBor.
    Once infested with such insects as the larvae of Powder Post beetles or the like, it is very difficult to effectively kill them in place. Contact a local pest control company for the best advice on getting rid of this.

[quote=A.D. Miller;95408]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post

RB: He should also do more homework on the logs themselves. Many companies produce their logs from standing dead trees Which are rife with both fungi and beetles.
    Really? Can you provide documentation for that?

A.D. Miller Guest

Thanks, for the info, never new that.

I thought you guys where Playing around. First thing that caught me was the exposed sub floor and your looking at bumps, bugs and pimples........

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Ron Bibler Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    I thought you guys where Playing around. First thing that caught me was the exposed sub floor and your looking at bumps, bugs and pimples........
    Its the Little things in life...

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    pimples........
    Who Want's a Pimply House?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

mathew stouffer Guest

I went back and checked out the logs, no beetles. We live in a very very arid climate. Sounds like the beetles you mentioned perfer humid climates.

A.D. Miller Guest

I went back and checked out the logs, no beetles. We live in a very very arid climate. Sounds like the beetles you mentioned perfer humid climates.
    MS: Correct.

James Vincent Guest

Have you check the ICC-400 Standard on the Design and Construction of Log Homes. In case you do more log home inspections. Bryce Canyon Rocks!