Thread: 2 Flues

Default 2 Flues

I'm combing through IRC 2427 and do not see anything that would cover this.

These are the flue terminations for the water heater and an old Sears wall heater. I personally don't like them being so close, but cannot "prove" it.

I included the other photo as a bonus for the inspectors out there.

Bruce

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Default Re: 2 Flues

Can't help on the Code issue for that. Don't like it either though. I would look more for writing height above roof on the shorter one, lack of critter guard and overall flashing detail.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

J.B.,

Unapproved Vent Cap
    That Wagon Train ( half round & affixed piece of sheet metal.)

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    J.B.,

Unapproved Vent Cap
    That Wagon Train ( half round & affixed piece of sheet metal.)
    Yeah, but if you think about it. When it's not connected from below, it's really just a roof decoration.

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    Yeah, but if you think about it. When it's not connected from below, it's really just a roof decoration.
    Are You Referring to " A Castle Cupolas ? "

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

it's not connected from below,

That is because it is the wrong flashing and the wrong cap.

It is required to be a Type B gas vent cap, and it is not (but it is a Type B gas vent which is not connected to it).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    That is because it is the wrong flashing and the wrong cap.

It is required to be a Type B gas vent cap, and it is not (but it is a Type B gas vent which is not connected to it).
    Jerry, Had another of the covered wagon vent caps on a 2006 water heater, so I made note of it. I am looking for the Type B gas vent cap requirement in the IRC. Could you point me in the way?

Also, I pulled up the installation instructions for a particular water heater and it says refer to the gas supplier or National Fuel Gas Code ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54 for venting requirements.

The seller is stating that his plumber knows more about the code than I do (maybe or maybe not ) So I am looking for specific knowledge.

Bruce

Had another of the covered wagon vent caps on a 2006 water heater, so I made note of it. I am looking for the Type B gas vent cap requirement in the IRC. Could you point me in the way?

Bruce,

- M1804.2 Termination. Vent termination shall comply with Sections M1804.2.1 through M1804.2.6.
    - M1804.2.1 Through the roof. Vents passing through a roof shall extend through flashing and terminate in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation requirements.

Here is one example: http://www.duravent.com/docs/instruct/L204A_apr00.pdf

Go to Fig 12 on page 8 of 20 ... on the left you will see the installation sequence description, right after "Add sufficient Pipe Sections to attain the height specified in Table 2." you will find ""To connect the Top to the pipe, hold Top by its collar, slide collar over locking lugs of pipe, and twist-lock clockwise. Tops of ... " (bold is theirs) - on the right see the two listed TOPS which are interchangeable: the High Wind Top and the DuraCap Top.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bruce,

I forgot these the other day:
    - G2427.6 (503.6) Gas vents. Gas vents shall comply with Sections G2427.6.1 through G2427.6.11. (See Section G2403, Definitions.)
    - - G2427.6.3 (503.6.3) Roof penetration. A gas vent passing through a roof shall extend through the roof flashing, roof jack or roof thimble and shall be terminated by a listed termination cap.

And:
    - G2427.6.6 (503.6.6) Roof terminations. Gas vents shall extend through the roof flashing, roof jack or roof thimble and terminate with a listed cap or listed roof assembly.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Bruce,

I forgot these the other day:
    - G2427.6 (503.6) Gas vents. Gas vents shall comply with Sections G2427.6.1 through G2427.6.11. (See Section G2403, Definitions.)
    - - G2427.6.3 (503.6.3) Roof penetration. A gas vent passing through a roof shall extend through the roof flashing, roof jack or roof thimble and shall be terminated by a listed termination cap.

And:
    - G2427.6.6 (503.6.6) Roof terminations. Gas vents shall extend through the roof flashing, roof jack or roof thimble and terminate with a listed cap or listed roof assembly.
    I ended up finding 2427 before I heard back from you and used that in my discussion with my client. I read your other post last night, but haven't looked at the duravent website yet. Thanks for providing all of that info! Bruce